FORUMS: list search recent posts

Location Audio

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Mechelke
Location Audio
on Mar 28, 2006 at 7:50:49 pm

I'm entering the business of wedding videos and am looking into ways to capture audio in a more professional mannor. Most churches in my area have some type of pa/sound system and I'm already micing the groom. My thought would be to plug in some sort of recorder to record directly from their system and then edit in with the video in post by matching it up with time-code. But I'm not real knowledgeable with audio equipment so I'm looking for some advice. I've heard good and bad things about DAT Recorders and mini disks. So I throw it out there to you professionals, what would be a good device for around $1500 or so. I'm willing to pay more if the results are worth it.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jason

Return to posts index

Will Salley
Re: Location Audio
on Mar 29, 2006 at 6:21:01 am

One approach would be to purchase a few more wireless systems and mic the priest, groom, bride, and musicians and singers. This, of course, would be kinda expensive and would need a mix and mixer (the person, not the thing) to go to camera(s). This would probably get the best overall sound possible, assuming the mics are of good quality and you have done all your frequency testing in advance.

Another method would be to use a wireless to send the output of church's console to your camera. I'm not real experienced in the wedding business but I would think the brides voice would be the lowest of the three and that is where I would put another wireless, but away from anything that would cause clothing noise problems (don't be afraid to place the mic with tape around the cleavage area or below it. A light creme, or white windscreen would help mask the mic element and may help isolate it from the clothiing. Synthetic fabrics and beads tend to cause problems with most lav mics and you will need to make a decision with each dress as to exactly where to place the mic.)
If you plan on this approach, try to use a submix from the house mix instead of the main outs. You can send the camera more of what you need and not what the house needs.

The approach you mentioned was to go to a stand alone recorder at the house console. You may have sync problems with the recorder unless it's genlocked to camera, even if it's another deck or digital. In that environment, you can't really use a slate so you will have to send timecode to the camera and/or the recorder. I guess you could get an isolated mix to the deck and use it in post under the wireless sources that went to camera.

If you are shooting multicamera, you can send the cover camera (the wideshot) the house mix and the other cameras isolated sources but you still have to deal with sync issues between the cameras - but that's another topic.

Return to posts index

Rob Dunford
Re: Location Audio
on Mar 29, 2006 at 1:41:37 pm

I know someone who uses a radio mic on the couple to get the vows etc and another handheld radio mic to get interviews and ambient sounds. You can put each mic on a separate track.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]