FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sennheiser MKH-418?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peterson
Sennheiser MKH-418?
on Mar 28, 2006 at 12:08:37 am

Howdy -

Curious about feedback from the field for this M/S shotgun. How clean is the bi-directional 8 capsule? Planning for distant location doc and researching a good field ambient / stero mic. I like the directional mid this gives ( its a 416 I hear) as plan to use on boom for dialogue.

Surround would be great, but budget cannot presently go for higher end Schoeps double m/s set ($8,000 - yowza!). Thinking to maybe rig 2nd compatible cardiod to 418 for 3 input double m/s to something like the Sound Devices 744t.

Informatio on any and all tried and proven m/s / exterior surround set ups very much appreciated. (Neuman RMS 181 a little to prone to enviromental conditions for this location or a reat choice).

Thanks-
Peter

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Sennheiser MKH-418?
on Mar 28, 2006 at 1:06:35 pm

Sorry, I have not used a 418.
And I don't use a stereo mic for dialogue work.

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Mar 29, 2006 at 5:20:59 am

I did some demos of the 418. It's very close to the 416 but with a little less sensitivity and maybe a little less +4k response. Matches well otherwise. Possible to use as dialog in m/s - just make a note of the forward element track for the editor -although I agree with David - there's not much use for stereo dialog except maybe a POV shot with a lot of action. I thought it would be good utility mic to switch between standard short shotgun chores and nat sound aquisition.

Return to posts index

peterson
on Mar 29, 2006 at 2:08:33 pm

Thanks for the replies. After more research, some tests also mention more noise in the side/8 & therefore not so suitable for quiet ambience pick up... Maybe way to go is with a MKH-60 and attach a MKH-30. I've seen a rig where both can fit (just...) inside normal rycote zeppelin.
The goal is simply to boost the presence of a solo photographer at work in a very isolated, high plateau surrounding. I don't know what type of ambience I can expect although I have been told there is a strange hissing of sand crystals, which would be nice to capture. I have never recorded dialogue in stereo nor have I ever used the m-s technique before. I have some lead time here so I am trying to think it all through.

I have also come across something made by Ambient called the Emesser figure of eight, a very small capsule which clips onto any mid microphone. Again, while supposedly quieter than the 418 side signal, its not as quiet as schoeps or the mkh-30.

Thanks again-

Peter

Return to posts index

Stephen Muir
on Mar 31, 2006 at 9:42:27 pm

Hi, Peter.

I used the MKH418 on a handful of occasions several years ago, and I found the side capsule to be rather noisey (especially when compared to the MKH416-based mid capsule). If memory serves, the side capsule is actually a back-electret condensor, which goes a long way towards explaining it's higher self-noise. Personally, I've been quite happy with an MKH416/MKH30 M-S combination for stereo effects work.

If you're planning on mounting your stereo kit on a boom, the MKH418 does have the advantage of being almost half the weight of most M-S mic combinations. However, since you're planning on recording rather subtle natural phenomena you're better off opting for a lower overall noise floor (ie. the `416/`30 kit). That kit will also prove more resistant to environmental extremes such as dust and humidity.

As far as dialogue goes, I'd strongly reccomend keeping it mono. I've only ever had occasion to record stereo dialogue when the director demanded it (for whatever reason). In those cases, matrix M-S recording was a sound choice since the picture editor wound up outputting a mono dialogue track anyway (with matrixed M-S, she was able to simply discard the side track).

BTW, if its strange-sounding sand formations you're after, you should check out the booming/singing sands up in Ontario's Bruce Peninsula

Return to posts index

peterson
on Apr 3, 2006 at 12:07:31 am

Thanks stephen -

I am not particularly after sand ambience, its just what I have been told to expect ( and record...). Anyway, thank you for your suggestion of the MKH 30, it is one of the two M-S ensembles that I have narrowed it down to: a MKH 416 ( I like the sound and its ability to pull dialogue out of noisey places ) with the MKH 30 for outside ambience as they both have an excellent reputation for climate insensitivity and ruggedness; OR a schoeps MK 8 to combine with either the 416 or the newer Schoeps CMIT 5U shotgun ( good also indoors reportedly )... using a Windpac shockmount / windscreen which can accomodate 2 mics easily.

I appreciate the feedback -

peter

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 12, 2006 at 3:04:57 am

I reviewed the 418 when it came out. That and other reviews are on my site in the OnLine Archive.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]