FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shotun Microphones

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
VideoMagic Pro
Shotun Microphones
on Mar 24, 2006 at 9:26:59 pm

I'm looking to add shotgun mics to our array of equipment and wondered if anyone can make a recommendation on a shotgun or 2 that are listed for $400 or less.

Thank you,
VMP

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Shotun Microphones
on Mar 24, 2006 at 11:15:20 pm

Sorry,
I have no first hand info on shotgun mics in that price range.
You might do a simple Google search for ... shotgun mic under $400

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 27, 2006 at 10:23:33 pm

At that price point they all suck about the same.

And if you're thinking of interiors, you don't want a shotgun, you want a hypercardioid.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Vaughan
on Mar 30, 2006 at 7:05:40 am

I'm in the same boat.

I am looking for a new shotgun for our second camera that only does 5 - 6 weddings a year, as the Senhieser MKE 300 now on it is subject to a lot of mobile phone interference, and I don't want to buy another M6 for so little work.

My research has lead me to Asden SGM 1000, which the Australian distributor has tested against mobile phones for me, and he is sending out for me to test next week.

I notice it sells for US$350, and has very good specs, so maybe is worth testing for yourself.

Have also tested a Rode NT 2, but with very poor results in wind and input level distortion when standing next to the P.A. at several wedding receptions (Yes it WAS the microphone that was distorting, not the camera overloading. I was watching and riding the camera input level all night, but had very distorted audio anyway.)

Cheers Vaughan

Return to posts index

r lague
on May 1, 2006 at 3:20:13 am

the SGM1000 is an excellent Mic. we have one and it works very well. Contrary to some opinions, there is shotgun life under $400 that does not suck. Of course this is in my opinion and we do have a Sennheiser. the Azden compares well and is great value for the money. the SGM-2x is excellent as well.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 1, 2006 at 10:58:28 am

My research has lead me to Asden SGM 1000, which the Australian distributor has tested against mobile phones for me, and he is sending out for me to test next week.

I notice it sells for US$350, and has very good specs, so maybe is worth testing for yourself.

Have also tested a Rode NT 2, but with very poor results in wind and input level distortion when standing next to the P.A. at several wedding receptions (Yes it WAS the microphone that was distorting, not the camera overloading. I was watching and riding the camera input level all night, but had very distorted audio anyway.)

-----I have tested the NTG-1 and NTG-2 and with proper wind protection they are no more or less susceptible to wind than ony other shotgun mic.

As regards the overloading of the mic, I have one here and will have to pull mine out and stick it in front of a speaker just for kicks. BTW, for new audio folks, this technique is not generally recognized as the proper way to capture audio. In addition there are too many questions about what camera was being used and what the levels were set to to make this a meaningful concern.

Did the camera have phantom supply? Was it turned on? This has been known to cause distortion to many battery operable electret mics. I speak from direct experience.

I've never seen an Azden shotgun mic in a professional kit. Their SCX-25 studio mic is pretty nice though.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Howard Ferguson
on Mar 29, 2011 at 12:20:31 am

Hi Ty,

I'm curious what you thought of the Azden SGM-1000 ?

How would you compare it to the Azden SGM-2X ?

We're looking for a shotgun mic to get the best quality possible in that price range.

It'll be on a boom, and we'll need to pick up a small group of actors at times.

Would you have other suggestions ?

Thanks for your time !

Howard

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 29, 2011 at 1:09:14 am

Howard,

I'm admittedly not a big fan of Azden. I'm always trying to get the best audio possible, not the lowest priced audio gear. If Hollywood could figure out how to "do it cheaper", they would.

Does this make any sense?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Howard Ferguson
on Mar 30, 2011 at 8:10:15 am

Hi Ty,

I'm very sorry.
I mistakenly attributed someone else's posting
as being from you,
in my original posting.

I absolutely totally understand where you are coming from with your response.

I have an audio recording studio, and I'd never (never) use these mics there.
(I'd never use many of the most popular ones for my purposes there, either . . . )

But-

I've been tasked with providing the best inexpensive mics possible
for this particular 'film making on video' endeavor . . .

I have noted your contributions to CreativeCow for some years now,
and I have no small respect for your perspective,
or your ears . . .

So-

In an extremely imperfect world . . .

Which of the 'retarded' low priced mics ($500 or less)
would you use ?

If trapped in a cruel alternate universe ?

(Suicide is not an option . . .)

Thanks for your help !

Howard

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 30, 2011 at 12:18:14 pm

Howard,

No problem. I should have been more graphic with the lifted quote in my post. :)

I'm still sort of stuck on what to tell you. Audio Technica makes a very extensive line of mics that hit all levels. Here's one: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/cae8c23cfe000574/index.html

The NTG-1 and NTG-2 from Rode http://www.rodemic.com/microphone.php?product=NTG-2

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]