FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pro Tools Hardware /Software Questions

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pierre robichaud
Pro Tools Hardware /Software Questions
on Mar 24, 2006 at 12:22:33 am

Hi
I'm a shooter-editor working on Avid Xpress Pro w/Mojo and FCP on G-5's. I am getting more serious about audio editing/sound design and wondered if someone might suggest a good all around Pro tools setup in the lower end price range hardware-wise. Thanks

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Pro Tools Hardware /Software Questions
on Mar 26, 2006 at 7:42:00 pm

Id look at Pro Tools LE v7 with an mbox.Dead cheap.
Just busy learning it myself so i cant say too much about the actual use, but it looks well rounded. The software comes with windows and mac in the box. Have a look at the digi design site. BUT A FURTHER THOUGHT

NB To get audio out of AVID so you can work on it properly elsewhere (ie as sep cues like on the avid with access to handles) youd export as an OMF but this is not supported by PT normally and needs additional software. This bumps it up a lot. I think youd need DV toolkit and digi translator (not 100pc sure on the last)
You should investegate things like Soundtrack pro and nuendo as these may support OMF directly.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 27, 2006 at 10:24:16 pm

I like my Digi 002 Rack.

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on May 3, 2006 at 11:06:54 pm

I'm thinking about adding Pro Tools LE + the Digi 002 Rack for compatibility with other studios. Have you heard of any issues running PT and FCP on the same machine. I thought I read something about this a while back, but my searches haven't turned up any info.

John

Dual 2.5 G5 4 gigs RAM OS 10.4.3 QT7.0.3
Dual Cinema 23 Radeon 9800
FCP Studio 5 (FCP5.0.4, DVDSP4.0.2, Comp2.0.1, STP1.0.2)
Huge U-320R 1TB Raid 3 firmware ENG15.BIN
ATTO UL4D driver 3.50
AJA IO driver 2.1 firmware v23-28
SonicStudio HD DAW, Yamaha DM1000, Genelec Monitors

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 4, 2006 at 1:15:31 am

Not yet on my machine.

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on May 4, 2006 at 5:30:18 pm

Ty, do you have a way of outputing the video that plays during a Pro Tools session to an external video monitor for ADR? What about SMPTE?

John

ATTO UL4D driver 3.50

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 4, 2006 at 6:34:28 pm

Hi John,

Not at present. I believe the ADR and SMPTE software required for that are bundled as Digitranslator and DV Toolkit. They are options and not inexpensive; around $1k as I recall.

Try googling DV Toolkit for Pro Tools LE

Regards,

Ty Ford

DV Toolkit 2: Post Production Tools
Price $1,295.00
The Digidesign

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on May 5, 2006 at 1:23:16 am

Thanks for the incredibly complete answer. Apparently, there was a Canopus product that would output video to a monitor while it played in Pro Tools LE in earlier versions. I'm trying to run down if it works with the new version. I hope so. Also, it appears that by using a midi timecode to SMPTE box (MOTU TImepiece AV)everything can be synced and frame accurate timecode can be output (and input). I'll report back when I get definitive answers.

John

ATTO UL4D driver 3.50

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 5, 2006 at 1:40:33 am

Thanks John,

Let me know what you find out. I suspect that a video card of some sort is required. The 002 can get sort of antsy when other firewire devices are attached to the computer.

Regards,

Ty

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]