FORUMS: list search recent posts

cable/handling noise

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill
cable/handling noise
by
on Feb 22, 2006 at 2:41:14 am

Looking for a good mic to replace an ME-4 on a Sennheiser G2 wireless system. That mic seems to have a lot of handling noise which I can't seem to get rid of. (Or any help w/that, though I wouldn't mind getting a better mic.)

What recommendations do you have for a good mic with lowest handling noise?

For PA, how much weight should I put in considering a cardioid mic vs. an omni--for example, how can I compare Sennheiser's MKE-4 vs the MKE-2 series?

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
Re: cable/handling noise
on Feb 22, 2006 at 2:58:29 am

What is the application, Bill? Are you micing a speaker for a PA system?
As for handling noise, is your gain structure set up correctly? If the gain on the transmitter is too high, you'll get a lot of noise.
Card lavs work but if they shift position and get off axis, you can get hosed if you can't get in there to adjust it.
Peter

Return to posts index

Bill
by
on Feb 22, 2006 at 3:29:26 am

Yes, someone speaking, for sound reinforcement (and recording also).

I believe it is set up correctly. The sensitivity is set to -30, at which the loudest sounds seem to peak correctly on the transmitter level display. I can try turning that lower, but will have to turn up the output level on the receiver to adjust.

The ME-4's housing actual seems a little lightweight as did the clip that came with it--seems as if it could resonate a bit--and amplify the cable noise; I changed out the clip for something heavier. Maybe a bit better. But I'm wondering if a better mic might have less problem with handling noise.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 23, 2006 at 3:29:13 am

You did put a loop in the cable and tape it down, right?

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]