FORUMS: list search recent posts

ATRAC pass-through into MAC??

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eyecamiam
ATRAC pass-through into MAC??
on Feb 19, 2006 at 10:56:00 pm

I have recently taken over a video production class. Equipment is limited and although I'll be building this up slowly I'd like to get the most out of what is there. We have a couple of decent cameras and a couple of real cheap ones that do not have external mic input ports. I also inherited a SONY DCM-M1 camcorder, which records on MD Data 2 discs. It's a dead media but I thought I might be able to use it for audio. The video is recorded in mpeg 2 and the audio is recorded in ATRAC, The camcorder does have mic input and headphone monitoring which are missing on the cheap Canon camcorders. It has an s video out port and rca outputs. What I'm thinking of doing is using this to record the audio track while using the canon's to tape. Then using the Canons as a pass-through to record the audio into Imovie. Does any one think this will work or that it would be worthwhile? Is ATRAC a decent quality audio compression?

OSX 10.3.8; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000; write professionally for a variety of media

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: ATRAC pass-through into MAC??
on Feb 20, 2006 at 1:35:05 pm

[eyecamiam] "We have a couple of decent cameras and a couple of real cheap ones that do not have external mic input ports."

[eyecamiam] "Is ATRAC a decent quality audio compression?"

Many shooters use MiniDisc as an audio acquisition medium (and MD is ATRAC encoded).
While there are various "generations" of ATRAC, for your purposes (and probably MOST purposes) it should be just fine.

That said... are your SURE your cheap Canons DON'T have a MIC INPUT?

Which model?

Canon (like Sony) seems to delight in finding ways to "hide and disguise" many jacks under nearly invisible flaps and covers.
I have seen many small inexpensive camcorders, and most have an external mic input.

Check the manual carefully
(Manuals can usually be downloaded on-line).
and do another "cavity-search" on the camcorders.

Finding and using an external mic input would save MUCH, MUCH time and trouble trying to "sync up" a dual-system audio track during the edit process.

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
Re: ATRAC pass-through into MAC??
on Feb 20, 2006 at 4:45:36 pm

The lab has two Canon zr-80s. Yes, I pulled out every rubber/plastic flap I could find. I downloaded the manual, I'm not very good at figuring out menu settings without it, and read several reviews that talked about the features. There is no mic input. In fact, Sony, Canon, JVC are all taking this port off many of their consumer cams. I cancelled an order for a Sony DCR-HC32 and replaced it with a PANASONIC PVGS35 because the pana has a mic input. However it does not have headphone output (sigh!). At least with the mic input, later on, I can add an xlr adapter or small mixer. To be honest on a student level, the picture quality of these mini-cams will do. What I want to get across is the production process including monitoring, manual settings, working as a team, etc. Without external mics most of the projects are ruined, either you can't hear what is being said at all or the competing noise is irritating. I also figure learning to sync the soundtrack is not a bad skill to acquire.

OSX 10.3.8; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000; write professionally for a variety of media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]