FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio newbie needs home recording gear advice

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noah Kadner
Audio newbie needs home recording gear advice
on Feb 13, 2006 at 10:50:35 pm

Hi Folks-

Noah, from the DVD Authoring and Panasonic camera forums here. I'm working on a very small home recording studio to do vocals. I've settled on the Blue Baby Bottle microphone and want a good interface with Preamp to get it into my Powerbook. So far it seems like the M-Audio Firewire Solo is a good possibility. Any suggestions?

-Noah

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Audio newbie needs home recording gear advice
on Feb 15, 2006 at 3:52:50 am

Hi Noah,
Having some idea of the the quality you are use to, let me give you my two cents.

The Baby Bottle should be just fine, and perform equally as well for voiceover or singing.
You will probably want to have access to something like a Sennheiser 416 if you will be doing ADR work.

My experience with Blue microphones has been a positive one to date,
having used their Dragonfly Mic on hundreds of voiceovers with excellent results.
At any rate, you will want a PreAmp unit with phantom power, thats a given.
I guess your next decision is " firewire or USB " interface.
Will you be using other usb or firewire functions at the same time as the recording interface that might conflict with the audio interface?
For example, sometimes there might be a problem using an AJA IO interface along with a MOTU 828mkII audio interface, both firewire units, at the same time.

If it were me, I would probably scoop up one of the last original Digidesign M-Box interface. I just picked up an extra one from GuitarCenter for a great price.
It comes with ProTools, which I use more than any other audio platform.

If you are going to need more than two audio inputs at a time,
then a firewire audio interface will more than likely be needed.
For example, a cost effective portable home studio / location sound recording system could be based on your Powerbook, by using something like a MOTU Traveler or MetricHalo interface with BoomRecorder software.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Audio newbie needs home recording gear advice
on Feb 16, 2006 at 8:21:07 am

I ended up with a Presonus Firebox which I have to say kinda rocks. Thanks!

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]