FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio equivalent to a video processor for analog to digital video transfers???

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jlietz
Audio equivalent to a video processor for analog to digital video transfers???
on Jan 31, 2006 at 10:33:26 pm

Hi,

I'm going to state upfront that when it comes to audio, I'm a complete novice. I transfer home videos to DVD (camcorder recordings, not commercial movies...) as my full time business. I use a hardware video processor to correct minor video problems (noise, color, black level, etc...) and then feed the video signal into a time base corrector. This works great on the video end, but I sometimes receive tapes that have poor audio. With my current set-up I have to fix any audio problems (low sound, high frequency hiss, etc...) with software, which adds quite a bit of time. In my ongoing efforts to increase efficiency I have been wondering if there is a hardware equivalent I could be using instead. It would sure save a lot of time to be able to "fix" audio in real time instead of demuxing the audio from the video, processing it, remuxing, etc.

Does anyone know what kind of equipment I could use for this? If something is available it would need to be able to accept regular RCA audio cables since that is what all of my other equipment uses.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Return to posts index

Seth Bloombaum
Re: Audio equivalent to a video processor for analog to digital video transfers???
on Feb 1, 2006 at 6:16:14 pm

Sure, (almost) all those software tools are based on analog hardware and workflows.

Levels - a mixer.
Hiss - Equalizer, possibly a noise gate. (there would be limited EQ on the mixer)
Dynamic range - compressor, limiter.

You could apply these tools in one pass in real time.

Sorry about the RCA, though - that will be harder to find, check your local radio shack for devices with consumer connectivity. And keep those cables under 6 feet.

HTH.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]