FORUMS: list search recent posts

multichannel monitoring from non-linear edit

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey Herzog
multichannel monitoring from non-linear edit
on Jan 31, 2006 at 6:45:11 pm

I posted this in the Aja Kona 2 forum but no replies. As it is largely an audio issue I thought I would try here.

I am trying to set up my Kona 2 non-linear edit system to monitor 5.1 stems out of FCP that are not ac3 encoded. We produce 90 second shorts that screen digitally in our IMAX theater. Our audio post guy mixes in 5.1. When he delivers the mix to us, he delivers as 6 individual, unencoded .aiff stems. I then lay those into Final Cut Pro.

I can assign these six audio channels to come out of my capture card as AES. They would be on 3 xlrs-- each xlr has two aes audio channels-- (1+2, 3+4, 5+6).

I've already got a full 5.1 set of makie 824 studio monitors and a large subwoofer. Using this system, I would love to monitor those stems in 5.1 out of fcp to see generally how they sound before the show goes out for encoding.

So, how do I get from the 3 aes xlrs out of the video card to 6 channel analog into my monitors, while also providing volume control? Esentially, what I am really looking for is a minimum 6 channel D/A with volume control that won't break the bank. Ideas?

Another alternative I thought about is using my AJA IO 8 channel analog out, for those familar with this device. The sync might be a little bit out if I am watching video through k2 and audio through io, but will it work? And can I control analog audio out volume of IO through either IO control panel or mac os volume control?

Any ideas much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Production Coordinator
New England Aquarium
Boston, MA

Production Coordinator
New England Aquarium
Boston, MA

Return to posts index

Seth Bloombaum
Re: multichannel monitoring from non-linear edit
on Feb 1, 2006 at 6:06:16 pm

I can assign these six audio channels to come out of my capture card as AES. They would be on 3 xlrs-- each xlr has two aes audio channels-- (1+2, 3+4, 5+6).

Decoding this from AES to Analog will be an expensive PITA. Not that it wouldn't work...

...AJA IO 8 channel analog out... The sync might be a little bit out... And can I control analog audio out volume of IO through either IO control panel or mac os volume control?

Not familiar with your platform, but, yes, the most straightforward way to accomplish what you want is 6 channels of analog output. I'd test the AJA before trying anything else.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]