FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding warmth to voice over reel

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Bagnall
Adding warmth to voice over reel
on Jan 25, 2006 at 6:23:52 pm

I'm putting together a voiceover reel myself. I am recording on a Shure BG 1.0 with windscreen. and recording on Spark XL. It sounds decent in terms of no pops or hiss on playback, but I'd like to tweak it so it sounds warmer or more professional, any suggestions in terms of presets or filters that I should pay attention to? I don't really have a lot of cash to spend on new equipment or studio time. I also was wondering if anyone can reccomend a decent SFX library as I'd like to do some radio imaging spots and don't have all the FX for that. Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Adding warmth to voice over reel
on Jan 26, 2006 at 12:40:48 am

[Christopher Bagnall] "I am recording on a Shure BG 1.0 with windscreen. and recording on Spark XL. It sounds decent in terms of no pops or hiss on playback, but I'd like to tweak it so it sounds warmer or more professional, any suggestions in terms of presets or filters that I should pay attention to?"

I don't know anything about the mic you mentioned, but I can tell you from my many years of voice work,
that there are no plug-ins, presets or filters that will make your voice sound more professional.
That comes from things like experience and practice. Knowing what to listen for,
and being able to take direction.

As far as more warmth, well that is probably 90% voice, and 10% microphone.
A close, large diaphram condenser mic will add a bit, but most of the warmth comes from being able to control your voice.

Return to posts index

Christopher Bagnall
on Jan 26, 2006 at 12:56:15 am

My voice is warm, the mic is not. i just thought there might be some presets to pay attention to, ie: EQ presets. I know radio personalities use compression presets on their mics. ie: Howard Stern's mic is much warmer and bassier than the guests. Each guest on the show has different tones and levels to their voice. I'm using a dynamic mic (Shure BG 1.0) however I'm buying the Marshall MXL 2001 so hopefully that will help the situation. all in all I was just wondering if anyone had experience with using different presets or filters. Thanks.

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Jan 26, 2006 at 4:19:59 am

Do try some compression if you are not using any. That is a standard for voice recording. We use Waves plugins. They are a bit pricey but you can download a version from their site (waves.com) that will function for 2 weeks. The waves C4 is great for getting that warm snappy sound you hear on some fm radio. Takes some fooling around to get the sound you want. Start by trying the various presets to get an idea of what it can do.

Jason

Return to posts index

Christopher Bagnall
on Jan 26, 2006 at 4:06:40 pm

Ok guys, thanks for the tips. Yesterday morning I purchased for under $200 an audio package. If anyone besides the posters are reading this, let me tell you from my new found experience what to do.
Here's a list of my purchases yesterday:

- MXL2006 Studio Condenser Microphone $100
- Phantom 48 Volt Phantom Power Supply $50
- Tube MP Project Series Microphone Preamp $50

Guys this is it. It sounds phenomenal. For the past couple weeks I was wondeing what the hell was wrong with my setup. It's all in the equipment, especially the Tube preamp. It makes a world of difference, giving the vocals a professional warm sound. People were telling me it was my voice that wasn't professional. I love proving them wrong. Alright thanks for the help everyone.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 28, 2006 at 3:48:33 am

Me too. I do V/O work professionally. Hard to believe the kit you assembled sounds that good, although I'm sure it sounds better than what you started with.

Regards,

Ty Ford

PS: samples of real work are on my site.

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Pravin Chottera
on Oct 26, 2011 at 6:23:29 pm

Hi Christopher

I know I'm responding 5 years (wow!) after you posted this, but I am running into a similar problem adding "warmth" to my voiceovers. I was curious about the results from your (then) new equipment. Do you have any of your work online? Or do you have a new set-up now?

Let me know if you get a chance. Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 3, 2012 at 1:16:13 am

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/168/858090

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]