FORUMS: list search recent posts

aac or mp3...

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
treyfour
aac or mp3...
on Jan 6, 2006 at 1:00:27 am

Does anyone know which is better? I know apple is all about the AAC, especially with the IPOD in all. Which gives the best sound quality?. Size is not an issue. Given that they are both set at 256kbps. thanks again.
-treyfour

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: aac or mp3...
on Jan 6, 2006 at 1:30:04 pm

From what I've read, aac will give better quality at a given data rate compared to mp3. However, not every player will handle aac. Just about all will handle mp3. If you want the most people to be able to play your track, mp3 is probably the best choice. If it's all about quality, then aac.

John

Dual 2.5 G5 4 gigs RAM OS 10.4.3 QT7.0.3
Dual Cinema 23 Radeon 9800
FCP Studio 5 (FCP5.0.4, DVDSP4.0.2, Comp2.0.1, STP1.0.2)
Huge U-320R 1TB Raid 3 firmware ENG15.BIN
ATTO UL4D driver 3.50
AJA IO driver 2.1 firmware v23-28
SonicStudio HD DAW, Yamaha DM1000, Genelec Monitors

Return to posts index

treyfour
on Jan 6, 2006 at 7:24:58 pm

thanks

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Jan 6, 2006 at 1:55:18 pm

If what you said about size not being an issue, is correct....
Then go uncompressed to get the best quality. AIFF.

Return to posts index

treyfour
on Jan 6, 2006 at 7:29:24 pm

I have been told AIFF uncompressed but that may be too large to build a large collection of music. I'm basically looking to digitize a bunch of my father's cd's before I leave town. Question though. If AIFF. Am i always going to sample at 44.1mhz? what situations would I want to sample at 48?

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Jan 7, 2006 at 7:13:47 pm

[treyfour] "I have been told AIFF uncompressed but that may be too large to build a large collection of music. I'm basically looking to digitize a bunch of my father's cd's before I leave town. Question though. If AIFF. Am i always going to sample at 44.1mhz? what situations would I want to sample at 48?"

So size is an issue.
And from your statement, it looks as if you are just ripping a bunch of your father's CDs for playback on your iPod... Naughty Naughty!
Are you always going to use 44.1mhz?
No!
You might use 44.1Khz though, which is the sampling rate used for standard Red Book CDs.

What situations would you want to use 48k?
If for example the music was to be used in a digital editing system such as an Avid, which uses 48k as a standard.

Return to posts index

treyfour
on Jan 9, 2006 at 7:08:38 pm

i am ripping a bunch of my dad's cd's. not for my ipod though. I'm trying to build a large (LEGAL) digital collection in which is of very good quality in which I can play through my computer, through a receiver/stereo system.

I assume soon enough companies will start supplying storage/playback systems at reasonable prices. At this point i hope to be able to convert them all into that machine from my hard drive and all the songs should work... leading back to the aac/mp3 question.

I don't consider 200gigabytes to really be an issue. but i guess if you are ripping at full quality, it is. Seems a little unncessary. I feel that I can get pretty good quality in a compressed format. AAC aren't so bad at 256 Kbps.

khz/mhz. the k and m are so close to eachother on the keyboard..

I basically just want. Best quality without ridiculous file size. most compatible file type with future technologies/ aka, i don't want to have to do it again. seemless transfer.

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Jan 17, 2006 at 5:39:33 am

AAC @ 320Kbps

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]