FORUMS: list search recent posts

room tone

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jack halsey
room tone
on Jan 4, 2006 at 9:11:10 pm

I have some footage I shot in a bowling alley with dialog. I did voice over for the dialog. Now I am inserting sound effects and foley. So if I insert background bowling noise would I also have to insert another sound clip for room tone? Wouldnt room tone already be in the background bowling alley noise which will be constant thru out the scene?

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: room tone
on Jan 4, 2006 at 9:49:49 pm

[jack halsey] "Wouldnt room tone already be in the background bowling alley noise which will be constant thru out the scene?"

This is something you can tell from listening.

If it sounds right, it is right.

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
Re: room tone
on Jan 5, 2006 at 8:33:19 am

This would depend on a couple of things.
1) Is the background bowling alley noise a library sound effect or are you using the sound from some of the footage you shot?
2) By voice over I presume you mean ADR (you had the actors lip sync to the edited takes) If this is the case it would depend on how much of the production dialog you are using in the scene. If you are cutting between prod and adr then you will need to build out your dialog tracks with background noise from your own footage so it matches. If the whole thing is adr then you could just use a library sound for the whole scene. Either way room tone is part of any recording done on set so you dont really need to add another track of just room tone as there will be plenty of it in the bowling alley background noise unless the whole scene is adr and feels empty or too sterile without it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]