FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio conversion

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
treyfour
audio conversion
on Jan 2, 2006 at 12:54:28 am

I'm in the process of converting cd audio to another format for the computer. Lately, i've been just using itunes and doing 256 kbps AAC files and they seem to be fine. I will be converting a large amount of cd's onto a 200gb harddrive. Basically what i'm interested in is a format(mp3,aac,wav,wma) in which will stand the test of time and have the full quality of the cd. I have considered using Wav files but they are so large. The files will be used solely for listening purposes, and I hope to have them for the rest of my life. If you know the best lossless format and a program that I should use. that would be great. thank you.
-treyfour

Also, http://www.musicgiants.com/ is selling 1100 kbps songs. Isn't that above cd quality? is there a point in which i will be just gaining file size without gain in quality?

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: audio conversion
on Jan 2, 2006 at 3:59:57 am

What's wrong with just copying the CD audio files "intact" onto your computer HD?

(On a Mac they would be AIFF 44.1 kHz 16 bit.)

This is the only "lossless" way to do it.

The other compressed files (like mp3) are VERY lossy.

You can't have a "lossless" file AND have it be "small".

OTOH, as far as "standing the test of time"... your original CDs will probably be more stable over time than anything else you can do with the audio files.

Return to posts index

Steve Crimmel
on Jan 2, 2006 at 7:42:24 pm

I would just transfer the songs in as 44.1 sixteen bit wav files, that way you lose no sound quality. a 200 gig hard drive will hold over 300 full length CDs...Best regards....Steve C.

Return to posts index

treyfour
on Jan 6, 2006 at 1:04:30 am

thank you steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]