FORUMS: list search recent posts

Microphone advice in a city environment

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anders H
Microphone advice in a city environment
on Dec 21, 2005 at 3:46:26 am

Hello,
I am going to be shooting a short downtown in a city enironment and I am unsure what route to go for the audio. I will be shooting with a dvx100a. The footage will mostly handheld with movement. I was thinking of either mounting a Sennheiser me66 shotgun mic to the camera. Or use a wireless sennheiser laviar (the evolution series that can mount on the camera), or do both. I have never used laviar mics and I was wondering if they create noise when an actor is walking or moving. What should I do? Is there another option?

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Microphone advice in a city environment
on Dec 21, 2005 at 12:05:47 pm

If you don't have a boom-operator, then your next-best choice is putting a lav mic on the actor.

The transmitter "box" of a wireless system does not make noise with movement (if you are not "out-of-range") but its possible that the lav mic itself will pick up clothing noise if its not carefully placed on the actor.

There are several lav mics that can be connected to any brand of wireless transmitter that offer designs that reduce the incidence of clothing noise.

As an example, Google for "Tram microphone" and "Countryman microphone" and read the info at the links.

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Dec 21, 2005 at 2:28:02 pm

IMHO, use your shotgun on a boom pole into channel 1, and the wireless Lav into channel 2.

Return to posts index

Mazuroo
on Dec 22, 2005 at 3:46:17 pm

Anders,

Use both, that way you always have a backup. Regarding the noise with a lav, put a nice, thick foam wind screen on and tuck it under their shirt (just not under a jacket or scarf). The great thing with video as opposed to live sound is that you have much more head room to EQ and boost gain in the final mix. Every TV show now has the actors wearing RF for outdoor shots. Take a look at one of the 70 Law and Order spinoffs, you can always pick up the bump of the beltpack (yes, we saw it Mr. President) in the small of the actors back and sometimes even the mic element on their chests. You should experiment with mic placement for each shot, so bring a pair of high quality isolated headphones to listen to your takes. Dont worry about have perfect audio in the can, fix it in mix. Hope this helps.

-tim

Return to posts index

Anders H
on Dec 30, 2005 at 8:51:27 pm

Thanks for the help. I used a boom and a wireless lav and it sounded great for the first day of shooting. Much better than previous projects and time will be saved trying to work out audio problems.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]