FORUMS: list search recent posts

looking for advice w/marantz pmd670 compact flash recorder

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Katz
looking for advice w/marantz pmd670 compact flash recorder
on Dec 20, 2005 at 5:44:19 pm

was looking at a used marantz pmd670 recorder

the fellow selling was a musician who recorded some subway sound effects. he then put the marantz in his closet and didn't touch it for 5 months.

when we tested the recorder with several mics (a senn and a stereo rode) the machine recorded just fine.

but i was VERY surprised about the VERY high level of noise that was also recorded.

unfortunately, the seller didn't really have the experience to figure out the solution. we both looked at the manual. tried various settings of the limiters and gain controls but after 4 attempts were never able to record a clean, non-hissy take.

i was hoping some of u good folks, with more experience than i, would have some long distance insight into our obvious mistakes. perhaps someone could run thru the settings of their marantz pmd670 and forward a specific menu of these settings?

as always, thanks in advance for any thoughts u care to share.

be well

rob katz
harvest film company

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: looking for advice w/marantz pmd670 compact flash recorder
on Dec 23, 2005 at 1:15:15 am

I own a pmd670 and it's been great. I've recorded everything from voice to screamming race cars.

I'm not sure what's causing your problem. A couple things to check out: Try a couple of different mics to rule out that as a problem. I'm not at the office so I can't look at the unit and tell you specifically how to do this, but make sure your sample rate is set properly. There are a lot of choices and if it's set up with low sample and bit rate you would hear more noise. Again, I'm not sure if you can switch off the phantom power, but check to make sure it's on if you're using a phantom-powered mic.

Besides all the settings in the Preset Menu there are a bunch of switches hidden under a panel in the upper right corner of the recorder that's held on by two screws. When you take off the cover you'll see the labels. There's an input pad control under there, If it's set to -20 you might be hearing noise because you're increasing the gain to compensate for the much lower signal going into the unit.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Hope it helps.

John

Dual 2.5 G5 4 gigs RAM OS 10.4.3 QT7.0.3

Dual Cinema 23 Radeon 9800

FCP Studio 5

Huge U-320R 1TB Raid 3 firmware ENG15.BIN

ATTO UL4D driver 3.50

AJA IO driver 2.1 firmware v23-28

SonicStudio HD DAW, Yamaha DM1000, Genelec Monitors

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]