FORUMS: list search recent posts

i need a portable mixer & microphone recommendation

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Katz
i need a portable mixer & microphone recommendation
on Dec 18, 2005 at 12:14:07 am

i'm a writer/producer who often shoots/edits my own interviews. i work in sd most of the time relying upon the sony pd170 and the panasonic dvx100. i'm presently considering the hvx200 so i can work in dvcpro50.

my audio set-up is often a senn mk66/k6 shotgun directly into the cameras.

i'm in the market for a field mixer. as my work has relied more on my small crew efforts than the 5-6 person crews that budgets used to deem acceptable, i find myself wanting/needing better equipment.

having a pro audio person "show" me the difference between the camera's pre-amps and those in a standalone field mixer, i recognize the need. now the question is which one?

i'm leaning towards the sounds device mixpre ($666/b&h). but with budgets always an issue, is there an audible difference between the sound device and say, the psc dv mixpro3 ($480/b&h). if not, $280 difference can be spent on a larger light or a better microphone.

i am interested in the ability to capture the cleaniest sound possible but am also interested in the most user-friendly pre.

so, on a limited budget i am willing to move up and away from the camera pre amps. i'd love some thoughts as to where i should move up to.

onto the mic.

as i mentioned, i often use the senn mk66/k6 set-up. my lavs are hardwired sony 77s and 44s. but occasionally i have the need for, please excuse the lack of better phrasing ...an all purpose, omni directional mic. this mic would be used with a desktop stand for q&a sessions with my talking head interviews. i would also use this mic for voice-overs with a marantz pmd670 digital recorder.

some have suggested the classic shure sm58. others have suggested the ev re50 or the 635. i'm sure/hopeful that some of u good folk would also share their years of expereince about which mic may fulfill my needs considering my modest budget.

lastly, if the pre is NOT the sound device and i buy the psc and save $280, would that money be better used on the pre or a better mic?

as always, thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts. forums such as these allow guys like me to read every post just to learn the issues that i will perhaps face. that truly makes this experience a digital community.

be well

rob katz
harvest film company

Return to posts index

Rob Katz
Re: i need a portable mixer & microphone recommendation
on Dec 18, 2005 at 3:26:59 am

i did a bit more searching in the archives and "discovered" several threads about the mxl990.

i'm pretty sure the sound device mixpre offers 48v phantom power.

anyone know how such a combo sounds?

if a condensor mic is used for narration

when would a dynamic mic come into play in my video work?

sorry for the newbie-type question.

(any decent links that could put me thru a short course?)

as i said at the begining of the thread, i'm a writer-producer who now needs to know more production skills than he ever thought. they didn't tell me anything like this at film school! but then again, i imagine the learning never truly stops.

thanks in advance to those who care to share

be well

rob katz
harvest film company

Return to posts index

tom
by
on Dec 21, 2005 at 12:36:15 pm

try this

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/location_sound.html#link%20one

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 22, 2005 at 2:59:30 am

I like the SD MixPre and 302. I own the SD 442.

Mics: handheld for interviews; EV RE50.

Good luck.

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Rob Katz
on Dec 22, 2005 at 4:06:51 am

ty-

thanks for the thoughts.

i was at b&h today (again) and i'm also leaning towards the sd mixpre.

i wanted to give a couple of mics a listen (i'll include the ev re50 on the list) but the place was jammed w/holiday shoppers. i need to get there when the doors open at 9am but w/the nyc transit strike getting around the city is a drag.

in a different post above, i had some questions about the marantz pmd670 compact flash recorder. ever use it? know anyone on this forum who knows their way around this tool?

though new on this forum, i've been reading several months/years of archived q&a looking at various topics that impact my production concerns and i often read your responses. i appreciate you sharing your obvious experience.

thanks in advance.

be well

rob katz
harvest film company

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]