FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommendations on power amp for non-powered speakers in editing bay

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bobo
Recommendations on power amp for non-powered speakers in editing bay
by
on Dec 17, 2005 at 12:49:35 pm

I am not an audio pro, so I need some advice for my Final Cut Pro editing suite. I just bought a Mackie 1202. I also have two AV S-60 non-powered speakers that I "inherited."

Questions: Can anyone recommend an amplifier to boost the output levels of the speakers? They are rated at 100 watts each. The have both 1/4" inputs and the red and black speaker wire post things. OR - Would I be better off just buying a new pair of powered speakers for the money?

I'd like to make this a year-end purchase, so your quick responses would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bobo

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Recommendations on power amp for non-powered speakers in editing bay
on Dec 17, 2005 at 1:55:23 pm

Crown is a "studio standard".

Examples:
http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/xls.htm
http://www.musiciansbuy.com/CROWN_XLS202_XLS_SERIES_AMP_XLS202KIT.html

But, for your consideration: power amps do not generally require a "critical decision" in small monitor situations.

I use a standard home audio AM-FM Receiver to power many of my monitor situations.

Most modern audio amplifiers don't "color" the audio or add much audible distortion.

So (unless you are a professed "golden ear" (and there are a few who like to hang around this forum) just go to the electronics store and buy a power amp, OR a Pre-amp/Power Amp combo, OR a stereo "Receiver" that fits your budget... and you should be happy.

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Dec 17, 2005 at 7:51:30 pm

Not knowing what quality the AV S-60 speakers are, as I have never heard of them,
You might be better off to just run to some place like guitar center and pick up a couple of powered monitors in your price range.

Good Luck!

Return to posts index

Bobo
by
on Dec 17, 2005 at 9:02:45 pm

Thanks for the speedy advice guys!

Bobo

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
on Dec 17, 2005 at 10:02:15 pm

I would also opt for a pair of powered speakers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]