FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need advise on audio set up for Post Production/Audio monitoring....?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Williams
Need advise on audio set up for Post Production/Audio monitoring....?
on Dec 14, 2005 at 5:40:25 pm

Hello All,

Need some help with a flowchart.

I am working on G5s with FCP Studio and a Decklink card. I have a pair of Tannoy PBM 6.5 speakers for monitors. Can some one please clear some fog on a flowchart idea for the best audio from my NLE station. The decks I am using with this station are a Sony DVCAM DSR-25 and a Sony UVW 1800 Beta machine that are both used frequently. I also have a Sony PCM-R300 digital recorder whose use is minimal. How can I best incorporate all of these components throught the two speakers and minimize the amount of patching, pulling and plugging necessary to get the signal from each particular component? Do I go with a Firewire mixer, a mega I/O of some sort (AJA/Multibridge), DAW (ProTools Digi 002)? And how do I assign all the ins and outs. I'm confused. Any advise would be apprecitated.

Thanks.
Colin Williams
Pensive Crow

G5 dual2.5, 1.5G RAM, Decklink SP, Sony Beta SP, Sony DVCAM, Tannoy monitors, FCP HD Studio, After Effects 6.5, Sorenson Squeeze Suite, Studio 8, Adobe CS Suite,

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
Re: Need advise on audio set up for Post Production/Audio monitoring....?
on Dec 14, 2005 at 6:10:20 pm

You need to get a mixer. A used mackie 1202 is around $250 and will do the job. Plug your speakers to the "control room" output. Plug all your video decks into channels 1 through 4 panning each pair left and right. The digital recorder can go into 5 & 6 and any other devices like VHS or dat etc. can go in the next set of channels. Then the audio inputs on the decklink card will plug into the "main outs" of the mixer. There are either XLR or 1/4" plugs for these. Use the XLR's if you can. Then you would also send the audio outputs from the decklink back into the mixer on another pair of channels to monitor your wonderful creations. Just be careful when digitizing that you dont have those return channels turned on, or you will create a feedback loop. Another way to aviod this would be to have the decklink inputs being fed from the "alt outputs" of the mixer. If all this doesn't make much sense to you, then I suggest you have an audio pro come in and set it up for you and give you a crash course on signal flow.

Return to posts index

Colin Williams
on Dec 14, 2005 at 11:48:32 pm

Makes total sense. Thanks a lot! Any thoughts on the Mackie Onyx w/ Firewire board. I would like to buy new. I don't want a mixer whose ports smell like a dirty mustache.

Thanks.

Colin Williams

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
on Dec 15, 2005 at 12:30:37 am

I've never used the mackie onyx but if you go firewire then I would think capturing video from the decklink and audio via firewire may cause sync issues. I would capture audio and video by the same device.

Return to posts index

Colin Williams
on Dec 15, 2005 at 12:53:19 am

That makes sense. So if I wanted to soon re-familiarize myself with ProTools (haven't used it since I was playing with the Toolbox LE 5.0)and integrate that into my workflow, how might I go about that. All the while having hardware control of ProTools from the mixer or DAW, whatever I may decide to choose. I just want it all consolidated (decks, i/o, mixer, video monitor, speaker moitors, etc.) as smoothly as possible without having to do a bunch of patching. I know I sound like I'm reapeating myself. I apologize.

Thanks for all of your knowledge.

By any chance, are you familiar with Sorenson Squeeze?

Colin

http://www.pensivecrow.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 15, 2005 at 2:44:31 am

The cheapest way to have a true Pro Tools experience is to get an mBox.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
on Dec 15, 2005 at 8:26:24 am

As Ty said get an MBox and that would plug into a couple of channels on the mixer as well. As for intergrating ProTools into your workflow you would need to buy DV toolkit so you could export an OMF from FCP and import into Protools to do your sound editorial and mix . Then you would just re-import the final mix back into FCP as stereo AIff.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]