FORUMS: list search recent posts

XML or OMF

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Sebeck
XML or OMF
on Dec 7, 2005 at 5:28:42 pm

For years I have been sending OMF files to my pro tools mixer and he would send me back aif stems. For a low budget indie, the director, who has Pro Tools LE is going to do a preliminary mix himself. Problem is he does not have the Digi Translator. After doing some research, it seems that XML via XML Pro is going to be the wave of the future. Since I have the ability to export both OMF and XML from FCP, which is the better investment, Digi Translator or XML pro?

What are the benefits of each?

I am not using BWF files, which I understand are the major benefits of working in XML, but I am looking for an investment that can be utilized in future projects. In other words, does it make sense to get Digi Translator to do this job, if we end up utilizing BWF files on the next?

Also, is it possible for someone with a PT rig that has the digi translator to open the OMFs then save a PT project file that can be opened on a system that doesn't?

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
Re: XML or OMF
on Dec 8, 2005 at 7:34:32 pm

If the director wants to do any kind of film work on his protools LE he should really invest in DV toolkit. It will unlock the timecode capability in PT and it has digitranslator and a few other apps included. Once he has the OMF converted to Protools the project can then be transferred to any Protools system however if it is loaded on another LE system without DV toolkit then it wont have timecode but you would still be able to open it and work on it. A work around would be to make sure you have a timecode window burn.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]