FORUMS: list search recent posts

Windows Media Player query. Hardly "professional", but...

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bag
Windows Media Player query. Hardly "professional", but...
by
on Nov 30, 2005 at 1:27:23 am

I've been converting all my backing tracks to high-quality MP3s for using at live gigs via a PC. I'm having trouble editing the MP3 files in ANY application due to a Copyright Error message and I'm guessing it's because I inadvertently "ticked" the Copyright Protection option in Windows Media Player and all I can say is- it's damned good! Now I can't open the MP3s in Cool Edit Pro or anything to fine tune them! I can't even burn them to an Archive CD (they glitch, which I assume is a product of the Protection).
Does anyone know of a way to reverse this, or get around it? There's a lot of tracks involved and re-encoding the originals again would be time-consuming. I'm hoping for a faster solution.

Cheers, Graeme.

Graeme Hague
Author/Composer
Audio Engineer BREC

Return to posts index

Gunleik Groven
Re: Windows Media Player query. Hardly "professional", but...
on Dec 6, 2005 at 11:00:07 pm

[Bag] "I'm having trouble editing the MP3 files in ANY application"

I know this aint a workaround, but still:

To edit in mp3's is not really the way to go. It's a bit like editing photos as jpegs - they'll get recompressed and worse sounding for each "save".

I guess these are tracks of your own music - as you're asking here.

First: Hopefully you've kept a copy of the original file or project. Then you can do your cuts and pastes in that and sound quality will prevail in the finished track.

If not, it depends a lot on which format you have compressed your files to.
(That is: mp3, aac. wma etc etc etc. There are litterally dozens of formats out there...)

If this is your only option to get to your own music back, you coud play around with different mediaplayers (there are a lot and I will not sugest one specific...). Quite a few can crossconvert and most likely there are tools to strip off the drm.

If you cannot get around this way, you'll have to recapture the audio from the compressed files into an uncompressed format (wav/pcm) and start over.

But again: I cannot really figure why you would choose this route as sound quality will diminish for each crossconversion and each single "save".

Gunleik

Return to posts index

Bag
Re: Windows Media Player query. Hardly "professional", but...
by
on Dec 7, 2005 at 12:52:17 am

Thanks Gunleik, yes I'm being a little lazy by not simply re-encoding the original files. There are songlists involved (my bracket lists for playing certain songs at certain types of gigs... eg wedding, party, small pub, etc)and these would have to be rebuilt as well.
I was just hoping for a kind of "turn off the WMP protection with a button" kind of answer.
Never mind.

Cheers, Graeme.

Graeme Hague
Author/Composer
Audio Engineer BREC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]