FORUMS: list search recent posts

any thoughts...will this work?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
coach
any thoughts...will this work?
on Nov 25, 2005 at 3:22:51 pm

Hello,

I am about to shoot (in 2 weeks) an indoor (big field house) small group of 15 people with one presenter. Here is how I am planning the audio. The camera will be a Canon GL-1. I am going to purchase the Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 lav mic system for the presenter in the group. The rest of the group will be recorded as background using a Azden SGM-2X (which I own) as an omni mounted on the GL-1. Both inputs will be plugged into a Beachtek DXA-4P (soon to purchase) attached to the GL-1 also. I would record the audio at 12 H. as I will be editing in FCP 4.5. I am under the impression I will have 2 different tracks of audio using this sample rate and this equipment. I have never attempted an audio capture like this. I have only used 1 mic. Questions: will this work and am I correct in theory? Are the Beachtek and Sennheiser good pieces of equipment for this? Any thoughts or better ideas would be greatly appreciated and considered. I have about $800 to spend for some new audio if the equipment I have mentioned is not adequate and will it show up in FCP as seperate tracks of audio....Thanks much and I hope I explained it ok.

Coach

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: any thoughts...will this work?
on Nov 25, 2005 at 11:02:24 pm

"The rest of the group will be recorded as background using a Azden SGM-2X (which I own) as an omni mounted on the GL-1"

The Azden SGM-2X is a shotgun, not an omni mic.

Return to posts index

coach
on Nov 26, 2005 at 12:11:30 am

If you unscrew the long end exstension barrel it works as an omni.

Coach

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 27, 2005 at 2:49:45 pm

What's 12H?

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Thax
by
on Nov 27, 2005 at 4:55:21 pm

[Ty Ford] "What's 12H?"

Sheesh, don't you know?

Its 3 different meetings of the 4H.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 27, 2005 at 5:11:58 pm

I'm a FFA man myself.

:)

Ty

Return to posts index

coach
on Nov 27, 2005 at 7:47:26 pm

It is 12 bit. I think you two are looking for the cowmedy lounge. I appreciate you noticing my typo, how about some input relating to the question posted...

Coach

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Nov 27, 2005 at 7:49:45 pm

I'm not a big fan of Azden, but use what you must.

For audio on the cheap, I think a better choice would be to use an Oktava MK 012 instead of the Azden.
But which ever mic you choose, I would not camera mount it as you intend to do.

Good Luck with your shoot!

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Nov 27, 2005 at 7:52:15 pm

By the way, if you are recording 2 channels of audio,
you want to record in 16 bit, not 12 bit.

Return to posts index

coach
on Nov 27, 2005 at 9:14:53 pm

David,

Thanks for the input. So my audio will be recorded in two seperate mono (or will it stereo) tracks on my DV cassette. I am still unclear what it will look like when I bring it into FCP audio timeline. The two audio sources will be seperate from each other? Is that correct? I am trying to get a visual or an understanding to see if works like I think it will or should still purchase the lav mic setup. Thoughts....I know I am making this as clear as mud....

Coach

Return to posts index

Thax
by
on Nov 28, 2005 at 3:03:36 am

[coach] "So my audio will be recorded in two seperate mono (or will it stereo) tracks on my DV cassette."

There is physically no difference.

A "stereo" track is, in its basic form, two mono tracks recorded and played at the same time.
There are other factors that would make the audio "true stereo", but the camcorder and FCP "don't care" if you want "stereo" or "dual mono".

After capture to FCP (as long as you choose to capture both audio tacks) you are free to decide to individually adjust and mix each channel to either or BOTH tracks...

Or... choose to make them a "stereo pair" that will play "split" left and right and be adjustable as a "pair".

But even a "stereo pair" shows up on the timeline as two audio tracks.

Nad IMHO, if you don't like a little humor injected into the discussion... you're in for some serious problems in THIS business.

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Nov 28, 2005 at 2:10:34 pm

In FCP you can toggle between mono and linked stereo upon capture.
A little refresher with the manual might be in order before your project.

Good Luck!

Return to posts index

drumrob
on Nov 29, 2005 at 8:43:54 pm

Other info in the above posts is pertinent, but nobody addressed your real issue of "stereo as two mono tracks". When you route the tracks through the Beachtek, you are going to need to pan one signal hard left, the other hard right. That will mean you will have one mic's sound on the left channel and one on the right. I don't use FCP, but you should be able to bring the stereo file in and have two separate tracks. If you do not pan your sources hard left and right, they will be mixed together on the camcorder and you will not have separate control over them in FCP no matter what you do.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Nov 29, 2005 at 11:38:54 pm

The Beachtek unit does not have left and right panning.
It has a stereo/mono switch.
Just run it in stereo mode.

Return to posts index

coach
on Nov 30, 2005 at 1:51:01 pm

Thanks so much for your info. I really appreciate it. Is there a product, beachtek or other that can control the audio as I need it for my GL-1?

Coach

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Nov 30, 2005 at 1:55:30 pm

[coach] "Thanks so much for your info. I really appreciate it. Is there a product, beachtek or other that can control the audio as I need it for my GL-1?"

The Beachtek unit will work to interface balanced line/mic levels with your camera.
But it is always best to wear headphones and keep an eye on the levels.

Return to posts index

coach
on Nov 30, 2005 at 3:54:42 pm

I do wear the headphones all the time when I record single source audio. I am just unaware of what the audio will look like into FCP as I bring it in from two sources. How much can I control it and will the lav mic be able to be controlled seperately from the Azden shotgun mic (in FCP). I want the lav mic (primary presenter) to be loud and clear and create background applause and audience questions recorded from the Azden. This is why I want the audio seperated in FCP. I realize I can control the gain levels going into/onto the camera tape. It seems I must create the balance at the sources with the Beachtek. I will brush up on FCP audio in the manuals. Hope that makes sense and thank you very much for you help. Before I spend $800 on some new equip I am trying to figure this out and I appreciate your patience. I am sure it is very simple but I am just not explaining myself to well.

Coach

Return to posts index

Gunleik Groven
on Dec 4, 2005 at 12:09:38 am

I'd consider recording the sound to some other gear than the Canon and just use the canon (on camera mic) audio for sync'ing purpose... (As a dummy track to sync your DAT/MD/HD recording to)

My 2 cents, but I haven't yet been very happy with audio recorded directly into any of the DV cameras I've tried.

Me like the Oktavas, too, but loads of mikes will do just fine. I'd be more concerned of getting a proper recording of the input than which mike...

OK

That's 4 cents -;)

Gunleik

Return to posts index

drumrob
on Nov 30, 2005 at 10:12:22 pm

David,

Thanks for jumping in with that response. Obviously I don't use a Beachtek! Sounds like the original question is being answered.

THANKS!

Rob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]