FORUMS: list search recent posts

Marantz Receiver problem

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alex
Marantz Receiver problem
by
on Nov 23, 2005 at 8:44:03 pm

I know this isn't really a "pro" audio question, but...I had the good fortune of garbage-picking a Marantz SR685 surround sound receiver. However, naturally it doesn

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Marantz Receiver problem
on Nov 23, 2005 at 9:02:58 pm

From what you've described, it sounds like a loose internal connection.

Could be a card edge but more likely (if the unit is an oldie) its a "cold" solder joint.

If both channels stop/start working at the same time, it might be that the power supply is intermittently getting to the pre-amp section.

Plug in headphones and make sure that its not just a dirty/defective speaker output switch.

There's not much we can do from "way out here" without benefit of getting to work on the unit itself.
Better find a local HAM operator or similar kind of engineer-type to take a look.

Return to posts index

alex
by
on Nov 24, 2005 at 12:11:16 am

Thanks. I think it is from 2000 or so, so not too old and not too new. I tried the headphone thing, and I get the same results through the headphones. It is both channel at the same time, and the problem seems to fade in and out a bit rather than just cut in and out. Thanks for your help...

Alex

Return to posts index

Matte
on Nov 24, 2005 at 1:51:55 am

[alex] "the problem seems to fade in and out a bit rather than just cut in and out."

Again, that sounds like the power supply voltage is intermittent to the pre-amp stage/card (cold solder joint or loose component).

The supply voltage would cut off, and the amplification would "ramp down".

But it COULD BE... anything!

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Nov 25, 2005 at 2:09:21 pm

Considering that you can buy a working Marantz SR685 on ebay for around $70.00 US,
is probably a good indication of why the unit was in the garbage, instead of being repaired.
Have fun!

Return to posts index

Alex
Re: Marantz Receiver problem - success
by
on Nov 27, 2005 at 3:12:28 pm

Well, I didn't really think it could be as easy as just a loose connection, but you were right. It took me a while to locate it, but after about a half-hour poking around with my trusty plastic fork, the sound sprung to life. Now I have a $600 surroud sound receiver for free. (Now if anyone has a set of surround sound speakers they're planning on throwing out, let me know your address).

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Marantz Receiver problem - success
on Nov 27, 2005 at 6:34:37 pm

[Alex] "It took me a while to locate it, but after about a half-hour poking around with my trusty plastic fork, the sound sprung to life."

Good.

Many intermittent problems are "mechanical" in nature.

As units get shipped, moved, and jostled... and ambient temperatures cause swelling and contraction, "loose conncetions" can become fairly common.

I have fixed dozens of components over the years by an doing the proverial "internal WIGGLE-search" and "Ribbon cable re-plug".

A couple of years ago at a Pawn Shop, I found a $1200 INFOCUS video projector that worked intermittently, which I bought for $399.
Brought it home and in 20 minutes of replugging, it worked GREAT.

Use it as my home theater video system.

So "putting it back in the trash" my be fine for those uncomfortable with the interior of electonic gear, but if you know something about circuitry and SAFETY, and can utilize a bit of down-time to make some explorations, you might be able to "save the life" of an otherwise "lost" bit of technology (and keep some extra $$$ in your pocket).

The reason I first suggested finding a "HAM operator" to look at it, is that they DO know electronics and many find the challenge of fixing (still viable) gear part of the FUN.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 27, 2005 at 2:55:38 pm

put it back where you found it.

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]