FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resetting BPM on a Mac...

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew C. Abourezk
Resetting BPM on a Mac...
on Nov 21, 2005 at 5:08:44 pm

Hi all,

Yikes, I just discovered that Apple's Soundrack "Pro" will not let me change/define the beats per minute of a pre-recorded track.

I just finished shooting a six hour aerobic workout video series for a client. She had all of the music written for her, mostly at 132 beats per minute. At the last second she decided that she wanted to change the speeds of some of the workouts tempos to speeds between 130 BPM to 140 BPM. We were shooting the workout sessions using just a drum machine for her reference, so we could easily set the bpm at her request during the taping.

But now in post, I am discovering that I have no audio tools that will let me take tracks (ripped from a CD), FIND the recorded bpm (which I already know is 132 bpm, I just need the software to know that as well), and REDEFINE the music to a higher or lower BPM.

Any thoughts of how I can reset a prerecorded music track to a strictly defined BPM?

Thanks SO much,
Matt

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Resetting BPM on a Mac...
on Nov 22, 2005 at 2:58:36 pm

As you already know, a recorded music clip does not, in itself, HAVE a BPM reference INSIDE recording software.

Only music that is actually generated in reference to the Mac's "clock" (like MIDI) will have such a direct adjustment.

But, you don't need to look for something to "find" the BPM on the track (since you already know it).

So, you only need to determine (mathematically) the DIFFERENCE (percentage) between the recorded music's BPM and the drum machine's BPM...
and then make that percentage adjustment to the TEMPO of the recorded tracks
(and enabling the "Pitch-Correction" to match the pitch of the original tracks.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]