<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
macmauro
low voice in video interview
on Nov 10, 2005 at 4:14:50 pm

Hi
we made a video interview with a sony dvcam camera
usign two wireless mics lavalier
one of this was bad positioned and so one of the voice is low
the other is good instead (each one is on a separate track, mono, 48.000 khz). I tryed to augment the volume of the low voice
but the noise grows up too. Which kind of correction i can do for this problem (if one is possible) avoiding rumor and noise under the voice?

thanks

Maurizio

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: low voice in video interview
on Nov 11, 2005 at 1:34:12 pm

Tough problem.

If you can split the files and apply some noise reduction to the low track you MAY be able to improve it.

Sorry for your pain.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 12, 2005 at 5:25:02 am

Noise Reduction, Normalize, Compress.

Ty, if one goes the above route, any thoughts about doing noise reduction after the normalize instead of before?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 12, 2005 at 12:25:28 pm

If the sound is deeply in the soup, there's really not a lot you can do to make it sound like the other track. The NR is the key.

I've tried the three processes and EQ as well in different orders myself over the years.

Seems like compression only brings up the noise.

But hey, you have the crash test dummy, maybe you'll find a solution that works best with your gear. Try 'em all!

Regards,

Ty (sorry for your pain) Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 12, 2005 at 3:04:18 pm

[Ty Ford] "Seems like compression only brings up the noise."

That's why whether doing NR before or after normalize, I'd always do it before compression. Give it as little noise to bring. Hope would be that normalize brings up everything and NR then would lose much of the noise too high off the floor. At that point you might have some room on the threshold to keep the noise floor down while compressing.

Unlike the original poster, I rarely run into his situation because, while monitoring, I immediately spot and correct the issue. What I usually bump into is two speakers using a single mic and one whispers while the other bellows. Sometimes you're not in a situation where you can mic separately. Think of interviewer with hand held mic going back and forth to two people on the street for example.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 12, 2005 at 6:29:07 pm

I "mix with the boom" if I'm booming then. That is to say, I find a spot usually closer to the quiet talent for the mic and tip it out a bit to catch the loud person then back down for the quiet person.

YMMV,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]