FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio mix

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
L isha
audio mix
on Nov 9, 2005 at 5:19:03 pm

Hello to all,

I work on a couple of shows for broadcast. One is dialogue w/ theme music/v/o over bumpers and the other is a performance show. Both shows are output to digibeta. Usually the show with dialogue needs to have background noise cleaned up and the theme music mixed with the v/o. For the performance show, the vocals and music tracks have to be mixed. Once I've finished the editorial I've been exporting an OMF for the dialogue show and an EDL for the performance show and having the audio mixed by an audio engineer using pro tools.

I'm wondering if Soundtrack Pro would enable me to do my own mixes. What would I have to be aware of? Prior to taking on this added step I plan on taking a course --actually, I'm doing the certification training at DV expo in December and if I feel it is necessary I will take the Soundtrack Pro class. :-)

But I just want to hear other's thoughts about doing audio mixing. I have a small Behringer mixer (Behringer UB802 Eurorack 8 Input Mixer) and Audiophile speakers. Would I need another mixer or different speakers? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Or should I stick to what I know best and find a new audio mixer? LOL!

As always, thanks so much!
Lisha

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: audio mix
on Nov 9, 2005 at 8:50:27 pm

[L isha] "But I just want to hear other's thoughts about doing audio mixing. I have a small Behringer mixer (Behringer UB802 Eurorack 8 Input Mixer) and Audiophile speakers. Would I need another mixer or different speakers? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Or should I stick to what I know best and find a new audio mixer? LOL!"

Well, this is one of those "if you need to ASK, then probably not" kind of questions.

I always do aduio mixes myself with gear quite similar to yours, but I know what to listen for and how to judge what I'm hearing on my speakers.

So my response is:
Yes, it is quite possible for you to do your own mixes with the gear you have, but YOU must have the "experienced ears" necessary to make the right decisions.

Do you?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 10, 2005 at 11:43:00 am

Pretty much.

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Seth Bloombaum
on Nov 10, 2005 at 4:51:39 pm

Agreeing with Matte and Ty 100%...

I think the real question is whether this would be satisfying for you. You (probably) CAN become a post sound mixer and more of an audio engineer, but it will take time and devotion to develop your chops.

If it's worth it to you, go for it. If it's just a matter of "ought I do this" my advice would be to save your time for something that matters to you.

A single class is just the start of your investment. Do you have a potential mentor in this where you work? Other resources?

(the reason I said "probably" is that some find they never can develop their ears enough to mix for others)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]