Synching audio to video

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ntz
Synching audio to video
by
on Nov 5, 2005 at 8:01:45 pm

Hi,
I now have another noob question... Im going to shoot a little documentary for which Ill be needing more audio than video. My shoestring plan is to shoot with a simple camcorder (=super simple timecode always starts at hour one with every new tape) for picture and sound, but also to have a hard drive based audio recorder. Thats because Ill have 2 persons miked wirelessly. Now,
1 Ill have much more audio than video
2 Ill have better audio from the wireless mike going to the hard drive based recorder than from my camcorder (Im not able to be with said two persons most of the time, I have to shoot them from a distance)
So that leaves me with 2 questions
1 is there a way to sync hard drive based audio to the TC on the camcorder without having to match tape by tape and take by take? I.E., am I headed for a nightmare, and should I change my plans?
2 Is the whole idea stupid, and is it going to create more problems than solutions, and should I just stick to plugging the output of the wireless mikes to the camcorder and forget about recording more sound than pictures?
Thanks a lot

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Synching audio to video
on Nov 5, 2005 at 8:08:02 pm

Clap board.

Return to posts index

ntz
by
on Nov 5, 2005 at 8:58:21 pm

can't... d'love to... but cant... have to be unobtrusive

Return to posts index

Matte
on Nov 6, 2005 at 12:35:28 pm

[ntz] "can't... d'love to... but cant... have to be unobtrusive"

Please alert us to anything ELSE you "can't do" before we waste time answering a question. It can be very frustrating to all involved.

example-

Joe:
"How do I get to your house from here?"

Bill:
"Go East on Main 8 blocks, turn Right on Satchel.
Go 3 blocks (past the second stoplight) and turn Left.
Follow around the park to Elm.
Turn left again and we're the third house (312 Elm).

Joe:
"Wait, I didn't have a pencil.
Go ahead."

Bill:
"Go East on Main 8 blocks, turn Right on Satchel.
Go 3 blocks (past the second stoplight) and turn Left.
Follow around the park to Elm.
Turn left again and we're the third house (312 Elm).

Joe:
"But, I don't have a car."

Bill:
"Alright, I go look up the taxi service number, hold on."
(two minute pause) "OK, its 351-555-3232."

Joe:
"But, I don't have enough money for a cab."

Bill:
"Arrrghhh"

Return to posts index

ntz
by
on Nov 7, 2005 at 12:51:00 am

sorry, but like I said, Im a noob... So I wasnt aware I wasnt giving important info. Heres what I thought: if I mike the people in the morning, then follow them from a distance, I am unobtrusive. If I have to use the clapboard, I am not unobtrusive...
But maybe I am misunderstanding what has been suggested. I thought I was adivsed to do some kind of slate for every audio take, even when theres no corresponding video. Did I understand correctly?

Again, thanks for answering my questions, and sorry about not having been precise enough at first.

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Nov 6, 2005 at 6:26:49 pm

"have to be unobtrusive"

Unobtrusive?

You have a Camera, a hard drive based audio recorder, wireless mics and receivers,
shooting a doc.

Well if a clap board won't do for your production, how about a simple 2-pop?
Have an inexpensive tone generator?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 6, 2005 at 10:06:38 pm

If you're going to be starting and stopping the camera, you'll be syncing every start/stop. Tape is cheap. Run the camera continuously and sync only once per tape. Since the sync clocks aren't lock you may get slight amount of drift to compensate for.

Alternative is if you're only micing two people than have each wireless go to each channel of the camera separately.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]