FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Logic vs Pro Tools

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francois Stark
Apple Logic vs Pro Tools
on Nov 1, 2005 at 1:39:08 pm

Does somebody have experience on both systems?

How does Logic compare to Pro Tools in the following areas:
- Importing OMF from FCP or AVID
- Track count and audio effect count for a single machine and distributed
- latency between tracks, with effects applied
- user interface responsiveness when working with larger sessions and on-line quicktime video
- General efficiency for the following jobs:
-clean-up of tracks (Pro Tools can add dissolves while playing etc)
-creating and adding buzz and special sound effects
-adding music
-final mixing, routing, busses, grouping tracks etc
- control interface operation (we are on Mackie HUI's but they're getting old)
- deck control and final playout of audio

Or am I on the wrong track, and should Logic be used more in a MIDI based environment?

Regards
Francois

Return to posts index

Jake Tolbert
Re: Apple Logic vs Pro Tools
on Nov 23, 2005 at 5:17:43 am

Francois,

Since no one has replied, I suppose I'll chime in. Sounds like you are maybe a Pro-Tools user now, am I right?

If that's true, you know how simple and efficient in many ways Pro Tools is for recording and editing audio, and audio for film/video. But, you probably also know it's limitations.

I'm a PT user myself, as well as other DAW software such as Steinberg Nuendo.

If we are comparing Logic Pro to Pro Tools LE, then I'd say Logic has PT beat in several ways, if we are just talking raw track counts and even effects playback, and even routing flexibility, and the distributed processing is cool, but costly as it requires additional G5's. At that point, it makes more sense to go PT HD.

Yes, the Pro Tools MIDI environment leaves something to be desired, and Logic has been a sequencer much longer.

But, with that being said, if you are looking for a serious alternative to Pro Tools LE, without going up the HD systems, I would look at Steinberg NUENDO.

Those are the two that I use professionally, and what you will find in the pro film and video world.

Logic has some great potential, but I don't think Apple has done enough to give it a real edge, it's still reaks of Emagic.

When it comes to sequencers, Steinberg Cubase/Nuendo and MOTU Digital Performer has most of the market. Logic trails behind both companies...

When it comes to DAW for film/video, Pro Tools is still at the top, NUENDO and Pyramix are gaining momentum in the film world, Logic is not even a contender in the top teir, maybe more so in local and regional video post, for broadcast or event video. It's still mostly a sequencer.

Jake Tolbert
PFS Multimedia
Steinberg Audio Tools &
Audio Professionals
Forum Leader

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]