FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mics for stage performance & stereo setup

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob
Mics for stage performance & stereo setup
by
on Oct 28, 2005 at 1:32:14 pm

Thinking of buying a couple of matching mics for capturing stereo of stage performances. Wondering 1] budget mic choices 2] placement preferences. Eg; school orchestra, is it best mic'd w/ pair of mics placed midway each side, FOH, or placed on a single stand, ala' "Decca Tree". FYI, I'm a video editor, but I'd like to capture some decent audio of the kid's performances, not just camera mic or a shotgun on a stand (which is what I've got for my interviews).

Return to posts index

Seth Bloombaum
Re: Mics for stage performance & stereo setup
on Oct 28, 2005 at 4:26:57 pm

check this out.

Most people are using small-diaphram condensors for this application. You could easily spend from $200 to $3600 on a stereo pair, and in my experience, yes, you would hear the difference.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Mics for stage performance & stereo setup
on Nov 5, 2005 at 1:29:59 pm

And there's really no wayto tell what'll wok. It's sort of like lighting. You show up and put up enough stuff to make things look, or in this case, sound good.

Small diameter (1/2") condensers in a stereo array will work if the stage is not too wide, but then you have to figure out where to put the mic stand or how to fly the mic from above.

Sometimes crossfired shotguns work for each side of the stage.

Sometimes three or four omnis across the front work best.

Yah have to hear it to know it.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]