FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Compression

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
True Brit
Audio Compression
on Oct 26, 2005 at 5:51:01 am

Apologies for a rather basic question, but until Creative Calf launches I have to ask this here!
Working with Adobe Audition I don't really like any of the standard presets in Dynamics Processing for my voice doing Narrations (Now maybe it's my BBC tones!)But can any V/Os or recording engineers out the suggest how and where I can start setting up my own compression settings? Franklin McMahon's tutorials in Audition were great but where can I get Plug-Ins without huge expense. Any help really appreciated. Ta
David McAlister
The Essential Englishman
http://davidmcalister.interactivevoices.com/

Return to posts index

Thax
Re: Audio Compression
by
on Oct 26, 2005 at 11:45:43 am

We could start with why you need to compress your VO's.
(What is the purpose?)

Return to posts index

True Brit
on Oct 26, 2005 at 1:41:14 pm

Well Thax
Whenever I go into an audio studio to do a narration/corporate/commercial they always seem to use compression on me, and the result sounds better than a raw read. Also I understood that to even out the highs and lows of a natural read makes the broadcasting of such a commercial on say a car radio, is much easier to listen to? Or have I got it totally wrong?

David McAlister
The Essential Englishman
http://davidmcalister.interactivevoices.com/

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Oct 26, 2005 at 2:35:34 pm

Well there is no right or wrong answer, just as we can't select a preset without knowing things like your recording level or the intensity of your read, the mic used and how far it was from your mouth, pre amp gain, so forth & so on.
Every studio or engineer has their own sound that they try to maintain, and each one is slightly different.

When I record myself for VO work, I tend to set my Avalon Vt 737sp flat, with no eq and no compressor engaged.
Of course there are always exceptions.
I generally add EQ and compression in the computer. that way I can tweak and change it as needed.
For a basic compressor for VO work, you can set the attack as needed depending on the intensity of your read.
1.0 - 6.0 should get you in the ballpark. Your release time could range from say 30 to 50, and the compression ratio from around 2.75:1 - 4.0:1.
Your threshold setting will depend on the sound you desire, so you could go from around say -15 up to around -30.
Your makeup gain on the output will depend on the amount of compression you apply.
Just bring it back up till you have your output level back where it should be.
Just play around until you get the sound you are after.
Then save the setting as a base line so you can pull it up when needed.

Good Luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]