FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wireless Field Microphones

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Perch
Wireless Field Microphones
on Oct 4, 2005 at 11:02:21 pm

I am fishing for suggestions on a pair of wireless field microphones. My 2 Sony's are old and I'm starting to pick up noise that comes and goes. What would the audiophiles choose for a good, durable alternative. Something that will be used for broadcast commercial work. Preferably, something small.
TIA - TC

Return to posts index

Perch
Re: Wireless Field Microphones
on Oct 4, 2005 at 11:03:48 pm

I should have added that I'm thinking that the transmitters and receivers will also be swapped out, not just the lavs.
Thanks! TC

Return to posts index

Seth Bloombaum
on Oct 5, 2005 at 4:06:11 pm

Sennheiser 100 G2 is the value leader.
Sony 800 series UHF is a strong performer.
Lectrosonics UHF is the best, Lectro digital is the creme de la creme.

If your sony wireless are 800 series you'll do well to get them repaired.

Return to posts index

Perch
on Oct 5, 2005 at 6:04:03 pm

It is 800 series. That might be a viable option. Although, I would like to get the two input receiver, rather than having two separate ones. What about microphones. I like the Sony 77, but would love to try out the mini lavs. Have you compared them at all? I'd like something easier to hide when it has a windscreen attached.
TC

[Seth Bloombaum] "If your sony wireless are 800 series you'll do well to get them repaired."

Return to posts index

Seth Bloombaum
on Oct 5, 2005 at 6:47:10 pm

> Although, I would like to get the two input receiver...
It does look good. Note that the newer receivers cover 4 UHF channels, eg. if your older Sony is a "68" which would be Ch. 68,69 in many of the newer receivers you'd buy a "66" covering 66-69.

> I like the Sony 77, but would love to try out the mini lavs. Have you compared them at all?...

No, I've not. The little DPA, Sennheiser, Sanken and Countryman all have good reputations but I've not had to get that small - 77s and Trams have been small enough for me, and sound good too :-)

Perhaps someone else on the forum has experience with the micro-mini mics.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 23, 2005 at 5:52:24 pm

I like the countryman B6 and E6. Sony 88b (well not as small as the Countryman), but smallish. All of the really small ones have more selfnoise because the diaphragms are so small, but if your ambient noise is high enough, they really work well and if it's not too windy, can frequently be hidden in plain sight.

AT has a small onee as well, but the number escapes me.

Regards,

Ty

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Kelly
on Oct 6, 2005 at 5:22:44 pm

If you're looking for a receiver that can take two serperate channels, have you looked at Zaxcom? They are completely digital and have features very slanted towards movie production, but they look like the ultimate to me right now. This receiver:

http://www.theultimatewireless.com/receivers.htm

accepts/outputs two channels (from a transmitter that transmits two channels). I doubt it would take two channels from seperate transmitters though (I imagine the single transmitter multiplexes the output of a mixer). Still, the system seems to be of very high quality. I've never used them, and I don't know how much they cost.

TV is called a medium, because it is neither rare, nor well done (He..he...)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]