FORUMS: list search recent posts

What can it be?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Redflag
What can it be?
on Sep 30, 2005 at 12:44:55 pm

Buzz/hum is definitely from the camera,as can be heard straight from mini plug monitor out plug.I dont have access to a Pal player,as I know that would be the real way to check if its on the tape.
Besides that,what could be the cause,surely Iam not the first on the planet to have this?..maybe aliens are listening to me?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: What can it be?
on Sep 30, 2005 at 4:15:29 pm

In a previous thread that you started,
I specifically asked what camcorder you are using and how you have it connected.

Now, you've started another thread and still no information.

If you don't tell us the model of the camera (and MORE), how can you expect us to help you?

Sorry, but you need to do YOUR part of these questions if you want to solve them.

Yes, we all have experienced HUM.
But HUM can originate from so many places and hidden problems that there is not just ONE simple response to your question.

Please, give the following:

Camcorder (Make and Model):
Audio Mixer (Make and Model):
How are you connecting the cables from the mixer (did your audio engineer use a "ground-lift/earth-lift")?
What happens when you PLAY a tape in this camcorder that was recorded BEFORE you first heard the hum?

Return to posts index

Redflag
on Sep 30, 2005 at 10:10:08 pm

Sorry I thought I made the point that the hum was originating from the camera,which is a Sony digibeta 790.

I have asked some tech people but they havent heard of this problem,I know hum of various kinds is not unusual from cables etc,but this is one coming from the camera.

And so I wonder what could be causing it?

Thanks for your reply and time

Return to posts index

Matte
on Oct 3, 2005 at 6:41:20 pm

What happens when you PLAY a "good" tape in the camcorder?
It needs to be a tape that was recorded long before the hum was noticed.
Make sure the "good" tape's audio has no hum by playing it in another camcorder or deck.

Next, on your "humming' Sony 790:
1. Play the "good" tape and listen with headphones from the camcorder's headphone jack.

a. Connect the camera's audio output jacks to an audio mixer.
b. Play the "good" tape and listen to the audio mixer through headphones.

a. Leave the camcorder connected to the audio mixer.
b. Take out the "good" tape, and put in a BLANK tape.
c. Switch to Camera mode and start recording on the tape using the on-camera mic.
d. Listen to on-camera mic through the audio mixer and headphones.

Please post the results so we will all know at what point the HUM comes in.

Return to posts index

Redflag
on Oct 4, 2005 at 12:47:01 am

Hi Matt

Thanks again for helping me here.Well good news,I think!! put in a tape and recorded voice,and then recorded with camera mic volume turned right down(ie when the noise is most pronounced)

Played back in camera,with head phones from the mini jack socket.Voice recording was fine,and when volume all down some hiss ofcourse,but no buzz.

So doesnt seem to be on tape,another odd thing,when the camera is set to bars,without tone ofcourse,the hum becomes noticeably less,and then loader when bars off??????

Could this be some sort of pointer

Thanks again for your time

Return to posts index

Matte
on Oct 4, 2005 at 3:19:57 pm

My first guess is it sounds like you have a loose connection (bad solder joint or slipped board-end connector) on the input to the headphone monitor amp inside the camcorder.

If so, you should have it professionally repaired by an authorized shop.

A quick workaround (until you have it fixed) would be to use the camcorders XLR audio output to connect your headphones.
According to the spec sheet, you camcorder has a 5-Pin XLR with both audio channels output there.

You could get a 5-pin XLR plug to fit into the camera and connect it to a mini-jack (to match your headphone plug) using the proper pins inside the XLR. (Pin 1 is always the shield. I'll guess Pins 2 & 3 would be for Ch1 out. Pins 4 & 5 would be for Ch2 out.)

You would not be able to adjust the level to your headphones using this output, but there should not be any buzzing on these outputs.

Return to posts index

Redflag
on Oct 5, 2005 at 12:18:31 pm

Hi Matt

Thanks again for your time and advise.Checked the 5 pin out to mixer,and no buzz/hiss,so luckily seems only to be this buzz on the mini plug jack.

Camera is up for annual check up anyway,so hopefully get it sorted then

Thankyou again for your effort.Iam sure I,ll have more questions in the future!

Thanks

Robin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]