FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fostex FR-2 Memory Recorder and Panasonic DVX-100?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael
Fostex FR-2 Memory Recorder and Panasonic DVX-100?
on Sep 21, 2005 at 9:49:36 pm

I've been shooting a lot of documentary footage lately and it's really a drag to be teathered to the sound person (with XLR cords everywhere). If I'm shooting on my DVX and the sound guy is recording audio to his Fostex FR-2 (seperately)... HOW DO YOU SYNC. I know/think it's done in post. But what needs to be done while/before shooting to ensure that the sync can be made in post easier?

thank you,

Michael

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Fostex FR-2 Memory Recorder and Panasonic DVX-100?
on Sep 21, 2005 at 10:16:01 pm

For years, you've seen shows about "the movies" where there is a slate (Name of shot/take chalked on it) with a "clapper-bar" that some crew-member holds in front of the camera (and SLAPS the bar down) at the beginning of each scene (AKA: a Clap-board) .

THAT is how you match dual-system audio and video.

But, you don't really NEED a clap-board.
At the start of each take, just roll both camera and audio and have someone stand before the camera and "call out" the name of the shot and the take and... CLAP his HANDS together, once.

That sharp sound and the point at which the hands come together is the "match-frame".

All that said...
It is far easier to keep the audio connected to the camera than to spend all that time trying to capture all the audio tracks and the video takes and then try to match them up.
I would suffer piles of cables before I chose "dual-system" when I didn't HAVE to.

Return to posts index

ROB DUNFORD
on Sep 22, 2005 at 4:22:41 pm

I agree about the clapper method and I used it to great effect and success on a recent shoot with my FR2. Syncing up is a doddle in FCP 4/5 and probably just as easy in other software. I was ploughing through hundreds of clips in a matter of hours.
Hope this gives you support, just check on long takes that the sync doesn't slip over time
Rob D
UK

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 23, 2005 at 12:18:35 pm

Cords?

A good sound gear package consists of one hose that contains both feeds and a return for the mixer. What are you using?

The FR-2 has SMPTE I/O. I don't know if you can jam sync it from your camera (hourly), but that what some people do. Just make sure you have the right SMPTE settings when you record or you r audio won't matchup to the video in post.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]