FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on field mixer for documentary. Newbie

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael
Advice on field mixer for documentary. Newbie
on Sep 17, 2005 at 10:55:53 pm

Hi all-

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I bought some audio gear today and am worried that I got the wrong mixer. I'm using a Sennheiser MKH-416 shotgun mic with a "Rolls MX54 field Mixer"... I'm going into a Panasonic DVX-100 digital video camera. I hear line noise or "white noise"... I can't tell where it's coming from. Is this what I can expect from a $130 dollar mixer?

If I take this mixer back I can spend no more than $500 dollars and will buy used. I just want to get the BEST quality for my money. Any advice.

Thank you,

michael

Return to posts index

Ton Guiking
Re: Advice on field mixer for documentary. Newbie
on Sep 18, 2005 at 11:50:57 am

Just came in this forum and saw this question... Well, in your case I would go for the Sound Devices Mix Pre, a very good two channel mixer. A bit above your price tag (about $650) but worth every penny - and considering the mike and camera you are using, a good choice!
FWIW,
Ton Guiking

Return to posts index

Michael
on Sep 20, 2005 at 3:15:34 pm

Ton-

It's so weird. I just bought a Shure-FP24 on Sunday. I was also considering Sound Devices Mix-Pre pro... then, later, one of the guys at Location Sound informed me that the 2 mixers (although made by different companies) are identical. Apparetnly there was some kind of deal the two companies made....

Anyway- I got it. And it's amazing!

Now I need a good boom pole and mount. I bought a carbon fiber "gitzo" (made by bogen)... but it just seems sort of cheap. There is something that tells me that in a few months I'll have problems with it.

Do you have any advice on boom poles and great shock mounts?

Thank you,

Michael

Return to posts index

Ton Guiking
on Sep 20, 2005 at 5:01:44 pm

Hi Michael,
Good to hear you're glad with your mixer. I can't give you advice on poles or shock mounts. I have used several, but just what the company for which I worked had. Location Sound seems to be great in advice though (I mean: several people have mentioned them in the past) so I would ask there for advice. It also depends on what you sort of production you're gonna do. Shock mounts partly dependent on what mikes you're going to use.
FWIW,
Best,
Ton Guiking

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]