FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mic Placement? The Cricket heard 'round the field

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
EduTVTech
Mic Placement? The Cricket heard 'round the field
on Sep 8, 2005 at 4:11:22 pm

Hello.

I'm looking for suggestions on where to place a microphone at a football game to get ambient noise.

The station I work for is recording high school football games. The stadium announcer is plugged into the mixer for our video recording. We placed a boom mic out of the way on the track for nat sound, which is the problem.

1) The boom mic also picks up the stadium announcer, so there's a bit of an echo.
2) The mic, of course, picks up people right next to it talking and last week a cricket who made itself right at home next to the mic. And add to that, we don't have person dedicated to just audio.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Seth Bloombaum
Re: Mic Placement? The Cricket heard 'round the field
on Sep 8, 2005 at 4:56:15 pm

If there isn't a place for the ambient mic that doesn't have people right next to it, go higher. You can put an old-style atlas boom in the grip head of a c-stand and get 12 or 15 feet, or maybe an entire tripod stand on top of the c-stand. Perhaps you've got other lighting stands that go higher. Don't forget the sandbags.

I think Shure still sells a mic stand that gets 12 or 15 feet as well.

There's not a great deal of help for hearing the announce echoing around the stadium. You can lessen delay by sliding that track during editing, only a little bit of help there. In post you could duck the ambient track a little whenever the announcer speaks, for just a little more help.

Don't know what to say about the cricket... Spray a windscreen with Raid? (use a cheap mic!)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]