FORUMS: list search recent posts

Background Audio Noise Issues in Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Burrows
Background Audio Noise Issues in Final Cut Pro
on Sep 6, 2005 at 4:21:51 pm

Hello. I apologize if this isn't the proper forum for this type of question but I figured it didn't hurt to try iy out. I have an interview that was shot in stereo outside and you can easily hear the cars passing by in the background mixing in with the interview. Does Final Cut or Apple have a filter that can eliminate or lessen background audio? Can anything clean this up? Is there any hope for this interview?

If there is a filter can you please include the setting that you have had the most success with limiting the background noise. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Lee

G5 Mac OS X
Dual 2.0 GHz
FCP 4.5 HD
XServe Raid 1 Terabyte

G5 Mac OS X
Dual 2.3 GHz
FCP 5.02 Studio
G-Tech G Raid 500 GBs
2 - Lacie Drives 200 GBs

Return to posts index

Thax
Re: Background Audio Noise Issues in Final Cut Pro
by
on Sep 6, 2005 at 7:25:20 pm

[Lee Burrows] " I have an interview that was shot in stereo outside and you can easily hear the cars passing by in the background mixing in with the interview."

Without hearing this track I can't say for sure, but if its too bad you might just have easily said that you have a recording of traffic noise and there is the sound of an interview easily heard as well.

No filter can restore a poorly recorded audio track filled with random and non-continuous noise.

A HISS, a HUM, a RUMBLE, that is continuous, easily isolated sound.
"SoundSoap 2" from BIAS or the new APPLE "Soundtrack" can help remove those kinds of noises by sampling them and "masking" their frequencies.

But non-continuous noise that is at or near the same frequencies as the WANTED audio (like dogs barking, traffic noises, others talking in the track, and REVERB) can't be helped very much.

Return to posts index

Richard Martz
Re: Background Audio Noise Issues in Final Cut Pro
on Sep 19, 2005 at 12:08:39 am

I recently attended a seminar on Final Cut Studio. Apple's Soundtrack Pro was featured. THere is a function in soundtrack pro that allows you to eliminate most of the noise and bring it down to a greatly reduced and manageable level. First you identify a short section of the noise you want to remove. Then you use that element to reduce or even eliminate the noise from the rest of the track. The element that was used in our demo was a short section of an interview shot in a motorboat. You could hardly hear the interviewer when the raw footage was examined. By the time they were finished working with it you could barely hear the noise. Remarkable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]