FORUMS: list search recent posts

Removing a refrigerator hum

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adguy31
Removing a refrigerator hum
on Sep 1, 2005 at 4:45:35 pm

Hi all,

I just recently discovered this forum and have to say that this is a great tool. I have been doing a relatively nice job in post of cleaning up dissecting my audio but have run into a little problem and need some professional advice...

I recently shot a series of videos. For the most part I got really clean audio as I was in a controlled environment. However, two of the six projects were shot in a kitchen. The first kitchen was really large with cathedral ceilings. As you can imagine, I have some tremendous reverb I have never had to deal with in the past. The second issue involves a very small kitchen. The audio here is really nice but they people who owned the home could not unplug the refrigerator or cut the breaker. Therefore, I have the really annoying hum underneath my dialogue. I have tried playing with the EQ as well as Noise Reduction but nothing is really doing the trick. Any advice would be greatly and humbly appreciated. Thanks.

PS - I have Sony Sound Forge 7.0 and Pro Tools LE. I recorded the audio for both scenes with a Sennheiser ME66.

Seth

wordtoyomutha

Return to posts index

Hdfilmmaker
Re: Removing a refrigerator hum
on Sep 1, 2005 at 4:49:43 pm

use Sound Soap.

Return to posts index

Matte
on Sep 1, 2005 at 7:26:37 pm

Agreed.

That's Bias "SoundSoap" (Now called "SoundSoap 2").

http://www.bias-inc.com/products/soundsoap/

Return to posts index

adguy31
on Sep 1, 2005 at 8:35:50 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I just got finished watching the demo from their site. It will work wonders with the refrigerator noise but I am a little concerned about the echo/reverb from the other kitchen. I am sure this program will perform perfectly.

wordtoyomutha

Return to posts index

Matte
on Sep 1, 2005 at 9:19:44 pm

[adguy31] "but I am a little concerned about the echo/reverb from the other kitchen"

And you SHOULD be.

There is practically nothing that can do that for you.

That's why for decades, in difficult locations, film producers have REPLACED the actual dialogue with NEW clean studio tracks re-recorded (lip-synced) by the actors.

I'm not saying you NEED to do this (may not be practical) but even the "big boys" can't fix reverberant location audio.

Return to posts index

Hdfilmmaker
on Sep 1, 2005 at 10:19:35 pm

....or you can add effects to your audio track till it matches your other room tone.

Return to posts index

adguy31
on Sep 7, 2005 at 6:07:41 am

Thanks guys. Your information is great and I recently picked up the SoundSoap and love it! I will have to try and work out the reverb issue. I greatly appreciate all of your feedback. Take care.

Seth

wordtoyomutha

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]