FORUMS: list search recent posts

isolate particular sound in recording

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jimmie
isolate particular sound in recording
on Sep 1, 2005 at 12:05:21 am

Hi,

I am wondering how I can take a recording, which includes various different sounds, and perhaps use a particular software program to isolate a particular sound out of the recording.

Basically, I am going to make a recording of a tool operating on a material, and at a certain time there is a special sound made. I need to record that process, use the software app to drown out all other sounds and isolate that sound.

And then take that sound and integrate it into my animation.

Any help is appreciated.

jimmie

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: isolate particular sound in recording
on Sep 1, 2005 at 1:54:07 pm

You've been watching too much TV fiction about this stuff.

It usually just doesn't WORK like that.

Assuming its a complex sound (as most real-world audio is) you could isolate a given range of frequencies,
but all of the other sounds in the mix would be composed of many of those same frequencies and still "drown-out" the solo sound you want to isolate.

The BETTER way to accomplish this is to actually record the "solo sound" that you want FIRST, then you can start out with hearing the "full" complex audio and fade to the "solo" sound when needed.

If you can't get the REAL-LIFE "solo" sound to "play" in isolation so you can actually record it, hire an audio pro to "create" the sound for you.
(After all, you're creating an ANIMATION because you need to do the very thing that I'm describing with the visual part of the presentation.)

Return to posts index

jimmie
on Sep 1, 2005 at 3:26:19 pm

prior to accomplishing the solo sound I need, requires a tool making a sound that i don't need being applied to a material, making another sound that I don't need.

Only after and during those two sounds are made, the solo sound I need is made.

see what I mean?

Return to posts index

Matte
on Sep 1, 2005 at 7:24:46 pm

[jimmie] "see what I mean?"

Yes.

But, you may not see MY meaning.

If you CAN record the solo sound you want... great! Record it.

The PROBLEM is you most-likely will NOT be able to isolate it from the other sounds that (probably) will drown it out.
There are limits to what can be done with EQ and digital reduction that will give you enough QUALITY of what you need to hear.

If THAT is the case... you can have a pro CREATE the solo sound (or a reasonable facsimile) of the ADUIO elements (for demonstration purposes) on the computer.

The same way that YOU are creating a reasonable facsimile of the VISUAL elements (for demonstration purposes) in animation.

Some things just can be accomplished with a camera and a mic (some need to be "simulated").

Return to posts index

jimmie
on Sep 1, 2005 at 8:47:23 pm

oh.

ok, thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

lightning ad
on Sep 16, 2005 at 8:48:59 am

ever wondered why there are always credits on movies for sound editors/designers/foley artists, etc.

They spend their lives creating sounds that you would swear blind were created by the objects you see moving on screen - but reality is never as realistic as you would think.

What you need to do, now that you have identified the sound you like, is to figure out a way to recreate it. Record it and blend it with other sounds to create the new effect. Be as creative and original as you can nd you will find a whole world full of sounds you can use to illustrate your image.

The main thing to remember is your audience have no idea how the sound was created - as long as the timing and timbre of the sound matches what they see, they will believe it. I have to record lots of snow crunches for a show i work on - i use a chamois leather pouch filled with cornstarch - but you the viewer would swear it was snow. Partly because it sounds close, but also because you have been conditioned to accept that sound as snow because Hollywood have used that technique for decades.

Describe the sound you are after - i might be able to suggest alternatives.

adam

"silly keeps you sane"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]