FORUMS: list search recent posts

Start up NLE Suite

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ekborg
Start up NLE Suite
on Aug 10, 2005 at 2:25:43 am

Greetings,

I have been asked to furnish a NLE (Non-Linear Editor) Suite from the ground up. I have been editing for a while at other companies suites with the set up already in place. Now I have to build one myself.

Can anyone give me a resource for building the proper specs for Audio Speakers and set up for Desktop NLE editing suites. (ie....External Speaker system, Digi Audio Mixer/Controller board, Audio Card)

Secondly, what is the best place for a music library resource? (ie... to purchase CD compilations to use at will versus the Needle drop places with ala carte and pay per use purchases.)

Thanks so much in advance.

--
Greg Ekborg
Creative Director/Lead Editor
netXstudios
w. http://www.netxstudios.com
e. greg.ekborg@netxstudios.com

Return to posts index

Brant Mills
Re: Start up NLE Suite
on Aug 18, 2005 at 6:42:22 am

There is no standard cut-and-dried way or "proper" way to go about this. I've set up a couple of studios for other people in addition to my own and the best advice I could offer would be to decide which nle software you want first and on which system (pc or mac) and build everything based around the specs of your nle and computer system resources. Setting up the audio will be dependant upon your capture card's and sound card's specs and your capture card's specs and quirkiness will depend on your nle which will be dependant on your system, ram, video card, processor, etc. If you know a lot about computers then your work is cut out for you; otherwise - befriend a techie to offer sound advice. Either way start with the software you want and build the system around it. You can find the system requirements on their websites. If all else fails and you have the money for it - call the folks over at Boxx technologies and tell them what you're looking to do. They'll set you up with a killer system - but it will cost you.

Hope this helps!

Return to posts index

Greg Ekborg
on Aug 18, 2005 at 10:10:02 pm

Thank you for your reply,

I called up boxx and have two beautiful boxes on the way with them being powered by all adobe/macromedia and Intel Dual Xeon Hyper 3.6's and 8gigs of RAM. Ummm, but they did not have set up for monitoring and audio????? I have to get Monitors and Audio gear through elsewhere?

Might you have a suggestion? I actually have a great place for viewing and testing its just the audio gear is the hard part.

ie.... AVI consultants spec'd us out some ourtrageous numbers on production and post audio gear. But that didn't seem to be compatable like you said with current hardware. I didn't know it would be that hard to grab some audio gear for post....lol

Thanx Brant.

--
Greg Ekborg
netXstudios

Return to posts index

Brant Mills
on Aug 20, 2005 at 7:04:10 am

What sound card did you get in your box? What capture card did you get? The brand and model numbers would be helpful. Also, which equipment specifically were the avi people trying to sell you on. You can probably find it cheaper and/or find something of equal or better quality relatively easily. What brands do you have in mind? What's your remaining budget? I'll look at the specs of the sound card you are getting and go from there. You'll probably be ok with just two main monitors at minimum, and maybe a subwoofer - unless you will be working with 5.1 or 7.1 surround. Are you going to need a mixer? Will you also be needing microphones, shockmounts, cables, stands, pop filters, foam for the audio room, etc. or are you just setting up the edit suite? What type of clientele will you be serving? Broadcast? Film? SD? HD? HDV? Please be as detailed as you can and I'll do what I can to help.

Return to posts index

Greg Ekborg
on Aug 20, 2005 at 5:22:49 pm

Just the edit suite.

So yeah, let me find out what was ordered on the BOXX and get bac to you.

Thx

--
Greg Ekborg
netXstudios

Return to posts index

Greg Ekborg
Specs
on Aug 20, 2005 at 6:21:32 pm

Audio Card: SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro

Video Card: NVIDIA Quadro FX 540 Pro Video Edition (with S-video and component out break out box)

Don't know if I need mixer board or not, that was one of the needed answers.

For the time being and next 9 months or so, it will be mainly MiniDV 24p capture to FireStore FS-4 and then dumped onto the Fiber SAN. Pulled into Adobe Software for everything. From Audition, to Premiere Pro, to After Effects or Encore. Also into FLV for Macromedia as well for the web.

There has been talk to step up to Uncompressed HD. But not for a while.

AVI was trying to load them up with AVID Nitris and Unity for over 600k a piece. Just on the editing alone. I don't recall the post audio set up. The studio engineers are setting up and spec'ing out the Audio Control room for the sound stage. And we are not in need of a full on Audio Pro Tools edit bay, just the basics within our Edit bays on our Adobe Software.

So basically as far as I understand, we need Two Monitors, a board, for capture if need be but for output as well to the monitors and thats it???? But hope that helps you help me....lol

Later.

--
Greg Ekborg
netXstudios

Return to posts index

Brant Mills
Re: Specs
on Aug 21, 2005 at 12:19:19 am

(Disclaimer: I'm not that great at the audio side of stuff - I mainly deal in video. That being said I'll give it a shot.) I'm not sure whether the sound card has two spdif (optical) outputs or just one. If it has two you should be able to just hook up two audio monitors with optical inputs to the sound card. (If you try to use the analog outs you may (read - more than likely will) have a problem with the audio not sinking up with the video when played from the timeline.) If the sound card only has one spdif (optical) output You may need to get a receiver with an spdif(optical) input and then can connect monitors through either analog or digital outputs based on whichever you prefer. Staying in digital would be better, though it will cost a bit more. As far as to which brand you should choose - I'm at a loss. You may be better off starting a new thread at the top to learn which specific monitor brands are best for your price point. When you decide to gear up for HD - I keep hearing really good things about BMD's Decklink solutions, and your Boxx systems will more than handle it. Glad I could help out a little, and good luck to you.

Return to posts index

Greg Ekborg
on Aug 21, 2005 at 3:09:13 am

cool,

so let me sum this up......you believe we can just connect two monitors via sound card? And that will be our audio monitoring set up? I had always thought that a mixing I/O board was needed. Thats why I am at a lost on the audio........lol.

Thanx.

--
Greg Ekborg
netXstudios

Return to posts index

Greg Ekborg
Monitors
on Aug 21, 2005 at 3:10:40 am

Genelec seems to be the highest standards out there for Pro-Audio monitors.

--
Greg Ekborg
netXstudios

Return to posts index

r lague
on Sep 12, 2005 at 1:36:43 pm

If the speakers are not powered get an integrated amp. we have a couple we bought on eBay and rack mount them and use good bookshelf monitors. Great sound. you also get a hedphone jack on the front of the receiver and that gives more flexibility.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]