FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommendation for 2 Track Computer based recording

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JimGrubbs
Recommendation for 2 Track Computer based recording
on Jul 29, 2005 at 3:30:39 pm

I primarily do location recording for local high school & community concert bands, orchestras, and choirs. I normally record 2 tracks to DAT and CD recorders using 2-4 microphones as input to my Mackie 1402 mixer. Occasionally, I will use a TASCAM 2488 to record multitrack on location.

I use Sound Forge for 2 track editing and Vegas for multitrack editing.

I want to purchase a laptop based hard drive recording system. I would appreciate any recommendations on sound cards with up to 6 XLR microphone inputs and any computer vendor suggestions to provide a reliable laptop system.

I prefer to stay with the Windows operating system, but will listen to pros/cons for Apple based systems.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
Re: Recommendation for 2 Track Computer based recording
on Jul 30, 2005 at 5:35:23 am

Hi Jim,
I currently run a Digidesign Digi002 rack system running Protools LE on my Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop with a 1.7 gig Pentium M proc and 512 of RAM. With a 80 gig firewire external drive, I can set up and be recording a single mic in less than 15 minutes. If you don't bog the thing down with lots of plug-ins, it runs sweet. It has 4 mic inputs, but more line inputs, so you can run more mics through your mixer and into the unit.
total cost.......hmmmm, the 002 rack is under $1200, the laptop you could probably get now for around $1700 or less.
Be aware, though, if you go the Protools LE route, that last time I checked, PTLE doesn't support hyper-threading or RAID.
Peter

Return to posts index

JimGrubbs
Re: Recommendation for 2 Track Computer based recording
on Jul 30, 2005 at 6:32:12 pm

Peter,
Thanks for the recommendation.

Return to posts index

sounddeptny
Re: Recommendation for Computer based recording
on Sep 2, 2005 at 6:19:09 pm

basically 6 inputs or 8 inputs via 1/4" from Mackie outputs. firewire to laptop.
they include Cubase software but you should be able to use Adobe Audition 1.5 which is basically an upgrade of sound forge with multitracks, or you could probably use Sony Vegas for multitrack recording.
-b

2 choices below.

http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/FireWire/AudioFire8/index.php
10 IN 10 OUT 24

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]