FORUMS: list search recent posts

viability of "editing out" unwanted background sound with Audition 1.5

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ruby Gold
viability of "editing out" unwanted background sound with Audition 1.5
on Jul 22, 2005 at 8:45:08 pm

I'm going to be shooting a narrator in "urban" settings, e.g. street noise, cars passing, wind (not cars passing wind, that's something else...). I'll be shooting mini-dv on a Canon GL2 with a lav mic on the narrator.

I'm a newbie around audio in general, and using Audition 1.5 in particular, and am wondering how possible it is to edit out the sounds of cars passing by, or wind, or tone down down street noise in Audition 1.5. If it is viable--all suggestions on how you'd best do this wd be appreciated.

thanks-
Ruby

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
Re: viability of "editing out" unwanted background sound with Audition 1.5
on Jul 23, 2005 at 4:23:01 am

Hey Ruby,

[Ruby Gold] "how possible it is to edit out the sounds of cars passing by, or wind, or tone down down street noise"

For all intents and purposes, it's not. The way to address these issues is before you ever roll tape.
Get windscreens for your mics to deal with wind issues. Have your talent stand so that his back is to the wind, etc. That kind of stuff.
Make sure your gain structure is set correctly, and get the mic in the talents sweet spot, so you can get a better level without cranking the gain.
As far as street noise and cars passing by, shoot at hours when there is less activity, if you can. If you can't, then, well, you ARE shooting in an urban setting, these noises shouldn't be too distracting if the source is obvious.
Don't think you can go in with Audition and "clean it up in post." Ain't gonna happen.
Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]