FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio meter for NLE system

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
audio meter for NLE system
on Jul 22, 2005 at 6:20:52 pm

I would like to get an external, stereo audio meter for my editing room. I like the Dorroughs, but have been put off by two things: cost and confusion.

Addressing the cost -- is there anything out there which you can recommend which is not so expensive?

My confusion is over analog vs. digital metering, and many of the other Dorrough options (incl. headroom). I'm currently using the analog meters on my Betacam 1800 deck, and my Mackie mixer. Analog has been fine for Beta SP mastering, but I recently have noticed some odd audio in a couple of DVD's I've encoded, and I had to redo the audio at a lower level even though my analog meters said it was fine. (The audio doesn't break up, but the peak sounds slightly untrue.) I assume that digital metering will be relevant in the future, and I'm reluctant to spend heaps of bucks on a great analog meter if it will be obsolete. If you had to pick one, digital or analog, which would you choose, keeping in mind that you are in both an analog and digital world?

Thanks.

-- BC

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
Re: audio meter for NLE system
on Jul 23, 2005 at 4:11:24 am

Hey Bob,
I have never used these, but I saw these in Marketeks catalog.

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=RU%2DSM16&off=81&sort=prod

You can select between peak metering and VU....you CAN have it both ways. Like I said, I have never even seen these things in real life, so i can't recommend them, but thought you might be interested.
Peter

Return to posts index

Seth Bloombaum
on Jul 23, 2005 at 4:30:03 pm

There's a little problem with the link...

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
on Jul 23, 2005 at 4:39:25 pm

Really? It is working for me.

Return to posts index

Seth Bloombaum
on Jul 23, 2005 at 10:51:11 pm

Takes me to the Markertek site OK, but displays the product page for Mid Atlantic leveling feet (for a MA rack?)

Maybe it refers to a cookie on your computer?

How about a product name...

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Jul 24, 2005 at 11:54:00 pm

What I am using is a little more than just meters, but the cost is not that dramatic.
Have a look at the Central Station by PreSonus.

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
on Jul 25, 2005 at 4:11:26 am

The unit I was refering to at Markertek is a Radio Design Labs RU-SM16.
Peter

Return to posts index

Seth Bloombaum
on Jul 25, 2005 at 6:04:27 am

Looks not bad, esp. for $166! More info here. I like that it's hi or lo impedance, peak or average. I'd probably set it for peak for use with a daw or nle.

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
on Jul 25, 2005 at 6:11:56 pm

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jul 25, 2005 at 10:14:32 pm

Is the Radiolabs meter any better than the meter on my Mackie 1402-VLZ?

-- BC

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
on Jul 26, 2005 at 5:09:24 am

Hi Bob,
I am assuming that when you say analog meters, you mean VU meters; and when you say digital meters, that you mean peak meters. I hope that those are correct assumptions.

[Bob Cole] " I recently have noticed some odd audio in a couple of DVD's I've encoded, and I had to redo the audio at a lower level even though my analog meters said it was fine."

That may be because VU meters do not show you real peak info, which is what you need. Peak meters do. The Radio Design Lab meters give you the choice of metering in either VU mode or in peak mode at the flip of a switch. The Mackie meters do not.

[Bob Cole] "If you had to pick one, digital or analog, which would you choose, keeping in mind that you are in both an analog and digital world?"

This meter relieves you of having to make that choice, because it can do both. So given your two concerns, this meter is "better" than the one on your Mackie. If by "better", you mean "more accurate", I don't know.
Peter

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jul 27, 2005 at 1:26:39 pm

[Peter Perry] "I am assuming that when you say analog meters, you mean VU meters; and when you say digital meters, that you mean peak meters. I hope that those are correct assumptions."

Thanks all. If I may impose some more on your patience...

I still don't understand about analog/VU vs. digital/peak metering. It sounds as if both types of metering are essential, though perhaps peak metering is a good "final check" rather than something you would want to use for the mixing process. Please explain more if you would about how you use the two.

(Michael, I also am still using an edit* system. Works pretty well for an "obsolete" NLE.)

-- BC

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
on Jul 27, 2005 at 4:10:40 pm

Bob,
Here are a couple of articles which explain the differences between VU and peak meters. One is from the Dorrough website, and it also explains Dorrough's philosophy of metering.

http://www.transom.org/tools/basics/200207.analogbasics.html
http://www.dorrough.com/About_Us/Dorrough_Vision/dorrough_vision.html

Or, just do a Google search for "peak vs VU meters", and all kinds of articles come up. If you still need more help after that, post back, we'll try and clear things up for you.
Peter

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
thanks
on Jul 30, 2005 at 3:48:44 am

Very informative articles.

The Dorrough article inspires me to ask, again -- anything else out there that comes close to their dual-mode-in-one concept? The Radio Labs device that Michael Brown uses?

- BC

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
Re: thanks
on Jul 30, 2005 at 5:07:23 am

Not that I am aware of. The Dorrough meters combine the two types in a proprietary way. Most others are either/or.

Return to posts index

Michael D. Brown
on Jul 26, 2005 at 12:55:07 pm

We have an RU-SM16 "velcro-ed" to the side of our WFM/Vectorscope. I trust its readings over the built-in meters on our NLE (Discreet edit). It gets its signal directly from the edit box via otherwise unused unbalanced outputs.
It does require a wall-wart.

Mike Brown
Video/Film Producer
American Heart Association

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]