FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Mixing Question

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jack halsey
Audio Mixing Question
on Jul 21, 2005 at 7:03:18 pm

Hello

I am not sure if I understand audio mixing. I am finishing up a project and it will consist of

Video
Dialog
Foley sound effects
Soundtrack

So I mean how much mixing would I have to do...it seems to be that the whole "mix" can be controlled via gain or the volume rubberbands to fade in or out the music.

Its not like I have to cue up the woodwinds and low the brass.

Am I kinda maybe perhaps close to the ballpark in this assumption?

I still intend to run it thru dolby speakers etc but I dont see it as complicated as mixing tracks of a music composition.

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
Re: Audio Mixing Question
on Jul 22, 2005 at 4:17:21 am

Jack,

[jack halsey] "it seems to be that the whole "mix" can be controlled via gain or the volume rubberbands to fade in or out the music."

Well, yeah, that is the bare bones of mixing, but if that was all there was to it, then a lot of audio guys would be out of work.

[jack halsey] "I still intend to run it thru dolby speakers etc"
I don't know what you mean by that.

[jack halsey] " dont see it as complicated as mixing tracks of a music composition"

It is the same thing, only your elements of the mix are different. A good audio person will carve out holes in the music with eq for the dialogue to sit in, will ad compression to the elements if needed, will eq and ad reverb to scenes to help match the acoustics of the scene before it and the one after to create a seamless soundscape. It ain't just riding levels. If this project is important, (and aren't they all?) then I would hire an audio person to do your mix. Just the nature of your question tells me that you don't have the experience to do justice to a film.
Peter

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Audio Mixing Question
on Jul 23, 2005 at 3:06:13 pm

That's what I'm thinking too.

Ty (It's just a camera! Point it and shoot!) Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]