FORUMS: list search recent posts

Voiceover novice inquiry

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
April
Voiceover novice inquiry
on Jul 8, 2005 at 5:06:38 pm

I've never done voiceovers before, and have a client who wants to include some in an upcoming FCP project.

What's the best/ideal way to do voiceovers?

I work from home, so don't have a professional/sound proof studio.

1. Is this something they can do on their own (i.e. burn voiceover onto CD and then give CD to me)?
2. Is there a benefit to having them do it straight into my computer?
3. Do I need any special equipment, like an external mic, if we were to capture the audio directly into my computer?

anything else to think of?

Return to posts index

Thax
Re: Voiceover novice inquiry
by
on Jul 9, 2005 at 11:12:24 am

Just to get things started, it would be a pretty safe bet that you would find an "external microphone" to be of substantial benefit for recording a voice-over.

The only benefit of recording to your computer "live" is if the VO needed to be recorded by someone who had to watch the video playing on your computer at the same time as they narrated.
(This could be accomplished otherwise by making, say, a VHS "rough-cut" dub.)

Yes, "they" could record a track on a CD and give it to you.
But you might consider that this VO could be best done by a VO pro in a recording studio.

Return to posts index

billelder
on Jul 11, 2005 at 7:13:01 am

April,

A couple of questions to add to what Thax said. Does the client want to do narration on their own video? If this client appears and speaks on camera, then you could record their VO using the same mic you use for on camera for sound continuity.

>>1. Is this something they can do on their own (i.e. burn voiceover onto CD and then give CD to me)?

Do you mean your client or a voiceover guy? Like me, there are all kinds of folks that do VO's for a living that have home studios and can deliver a VO to you using the internet and an MP3 or AIF file. (I notice you're using Mac G5.) My concern about the client doing it without a vocal studio will is that they'll use one of those computer mics. Those things are not made for recording sound for a video project.

>>2. Is there a benefit to having them do it straight into my computer?

Onto your computer specifically? I don't think so. Just as you load video from your camera to your computer, you can do this with audio too.

>>3. Do I need any special equipment, like an external mic, if we were to capture the audio directly into my computer?

If you want to record it on your own computer then here's a very simple explanation of how to set it up.
Microphone --> Audio Mixer--> Computer Line Input

Like with everything, there are different levels of audio quality that may of may not be acceptable to you. At minimum you could use a Shure SM58 microphone into a simple Behringer audio mixer and then audio line out into your line in on your computer.

Anything else you can add about the project and what you're trying to do will help us give an answer that will help. Good luck with this.

Bill

Return to posts index

April
on Jul 11, 2005 at 1:46:05 pm

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it!

Client is a non-profit, so has no $$ for a professional. They've done the VO in the past and want to do it again. I'm doing project out of goodness of my heart (no $$ for me either), so want to find the most efficient/least time consumming way for me.

I meant, is the VO something the client can do on their own. I'm assumming they don't have any professional audio eqiupment and would find a 'quiet' space, and then miniDV shoot the narration and hand over the tape, then I'll input audio into FCP. Bad idea?

Overview of project -
1. Making a new organization video, one to show potential corporate donors and one to show potential/new volunteers, about what the organization does.
2. TRT 5 minutes
3. Bulk of material will be historical program footage; if any interviews are included, it'll be ones that have already been shot - I won't be shooting new ones, or any footage for that matter. Edit-only project.

I only have my camera's internal mic. Have rented lavs and shotguns in the past. So if I were to do that again, you'd recommend the Shure?

Return to posts index

billelder
on Jul 11, 2005 at 6:20:49 pm

April,

In that case, I would say whichever is easiest for you. You could just put your camcorder in frint of him and let him read away. Or, if the guy feels more comfortable doing it at home, then you can take those tracks and make them AIF files or MP3 to put on your time line.

Good luck with your project. It'd a nice thing you're doing.

Bill

Return to posts index

Thax
by
on Jul 11, 2005 at 8:28:57 pm

[billelder] "Or, if the guy feels more comfortable doing it at home, then you can take those tracks and make them AIF files or MP3 to put on your time line."

You should not put any mp3 files on a FCP timeline.
FCP is incompatible with mp3.

Return to posts index

billelder
on Jul 11, 2005 at 11:49:53 pm

Thanx Thax. I guess what I was trying to say is she could download the VO file from her camera to the project as she would a video file..but with no video. I shouldn't have been "file" specific and I hope that didn't confuse her.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 12, 2005 at 11:19:57 am

I'd like to reply to April's post.
"Client is a non-profit so has no money.."

Your situation may be different and I'm not criticizing you.

Could be this really is a low dollar non-profit, but way too many times well to do non-profits cry poor boy.

If there is a president of the non-profit, how much do they make?

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]