FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio field recorder, any suggestions?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samuel A. Martin
audio field recorder, any suggestions?
on Jun 23, 2005 at 10:38:11 pm

Hi there:

I am looking into purchasing a audio field recorder but am daunted by the fact that everyone I ask tell me a different thing. Is DAT on its way out? What about HDD recorders? Flash card recorders? I have seen a few DAT recorders on ebay but don't know whether it will be a good investment. Can anyone recommend a recorder that won't cost me a fortune? I'm looking at spending no more of $1500, whether it is new or second hand.

On ebay they have no 3 recorders that look interesting:

Teac DA-P20 Portable DAT recorder
HHB PORTADAT, PDR1000, PORTABLE DAT RECORDER
Tascam DA-P1 Portable DAT Recorder

Which one of this would you recommend price/performance? Should I consider an alternate system? mini-disk?

Thanks

Sam

Return to posts index

Thax
Re: audio field recorder, any suggestions?
by
on Jun 24, 2005 at 4:18:05 am

What kind of mics are you using?
What kind of image are you shooting?
Do you need more than 2 channels of discrete audio?
Do you need TC between the camera and the recorder?

Return to posts index

Samuel A. Martin
on Jun 24, 2005 at 7:01:34 am

I'll be using the sennheiser 416P microphone and above mics
We will be using it from anything from 35mm to HD, HDV, etc. Pretty much anything.
Up to today the sound recordist has used recorders with 2 channels and never complained, so 2 channels will do.
We don't necessarily need TC now, but it would be interesting to may be purchase another one that handles TC, or a recorder that we can attach a TC unit.

I have a question though. If I buy a recorder from the US, do I have to worry about NTSC and PAL different frame rate?

Thanks

Sam

Return to posts index

ROB DUNFORD
on Jun 24, 2005 at 5:18:33 pm

I bought a Fostex FR2 and used it on a long shoot in Spain. I used it in many conditions and encountered no problems, what I like is the ability to pre-name the files with the scene/shot number, this greatly speeded up the post syncing process. We were using a Canon XL2 with Mini35 adapter running on PAL format, I see no issues around PAL/NTSC. I bought my FR2 in the US. From what I have been told the mic preamps are not the best in class for S/N ratio, so I used a small field mixer to give me more control and line out. I also really liked the CF cards route, so easy to download in the evening on to my laptop. The FR2 can have a TC board installed at a later date if needed.
I have heard good things about the Edirol R4 also.
My main gripe about DAT is the need to manually separate the takes, very laborious. It is an old format and is probably past its sell-by-date, but that is just my own opinion and solely based on my personal workflow methods.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 25, 2005 at 11:19:48 am

Yes, DAT is fading.

$1500 puts you in the neighborhood of the Edirol r-4, which does not have timecode.

If you clap before and after each scene, you can use that to confirm sync.

There are other solutions.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]