FORUMS: list search recent posts

Poor-man's audio studio. Please advise>

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Reins
Poor-man's audio studio. Please advise>
on Jun 22, 2005 at 5:04:34 pm

Hello,
We're looking to add basic audio recording to our arsenal of services. I'm a video editor on a FCP with basic knowledge of audio production. We work with an audio professional here in town, but sometimes we have clients that can't afford such high end services. We need to be able to record simple voiceover naration in-house but with professional results. We don't have room to build a nice audio studio. I would love any advice on studio mics and small-scale audio configuration. Currently, I'm looking at a Sennheiser MD441U. Is this a good mic?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Poor-man's audio studio. Please advise>
on Jun 22, 2005 at 10:45:43 pm

A 441 wouldn't be my first choice for a VO mic.

"We work with an audio professional here in town, but sometimes we have clients that can't afford such high end services"

So do you just give your time away?
Will you not be charging at least what they are charging for audio services?
Don't you charge market rate for your video services?

Return to posts index

Reins
on Jun 22, 2005 at 11:16:36 pm

It's not just price but time. This is a small market, and the audio guy we use is usually booked. So, for small scale projects involving quick VO and scratch tracks, we would like to move it inhouse. Yes, we would charge for it, but not as much as we would for booking an entire audio studio.

I've started looking at a Neumann BCM-104. Any thoughts on this mic.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jun 23, 2005 at 8:29:08 am

Hers an alternative thought. Insyead of trying to record it on mic in a space that is probably acoustically difficult, and where youre probably not going to get much control over sound, processing, monitoring etc - why dont you put an IDSN card in a PC with some audiotx software and link up to the entire worlds worth of voice over talent whove dealt with all of these issues for you.

Advantage
1) No need to buy mics and wrestle with it yourself
2) You choose from thousands of professional voices world wide
3) It arrives in your project sounding just like a pro studio did it

Disadvantage
1) Cant think of any actually

Over the last 10 years or so, Id say that the voice overs i record daily have grown to 99.9 % on the line rather than in studio recordings. Why would i want to restrict my choices to only those who can get to me. The world is bigger than that.
Peter

Return to posts index

Reins
on Jun 23, 2005 at 1:02:19 pm

Thanks Peter,
I've been looking to get an ISDN link, as we do use a lot of talent from around the country for most of our clients. Here's the deal. One of our bread and butter accounts is an auto dealership. We are constantly doing updates for them and they continue to grow. They also strictly use a local voice personality which is out of our control. So, we need to make audio recording possible in our shop. I'd also like the ability to make scratch tracks to edit to. Any suggestions on mics, setups, and other equipment would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Reins

Return to posts index

PeterGroom
on Jun 25, 2005 at 8:32:11 am

Where are you
UK?

Return to posts index

Reins
on Jun 25, 2005 at 1:55:02 pm

I'm in the lovely city of Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Some vendors here locally, but most things need ordering.

Return to posts index

PeterG
on Jul 8, 2005 at 7:59:38 pm

What kind of room do you have to put your talent in? What size?

Almost any microphone mentioned will work fine in an acousticaly good space.

A small space full of foam is the worst you can do. Rather try to put in some low freq absorbers to kill room modes (100-300Hz)and some hi/mid freq diffusers which will make the voice sound rich without the use of an equalizer. Money spent in acoustic is the best investment you can make, and if the budget is tight you can make the acoustic modules yourself rather cheaply.

It's funny how most people start with microphones. It is easy to go and buy a new mic, but not so easy to build a proper acoustic space. People who discuss about hi end microphones on pro audio forums usually already have great sounding rooms. Good acoustic to sound is the same as proper light is to video.

good luck

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jun 23, 2005 at 8:23:17 am

test

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Jun 23, 2005 at 1:30:54 pm

What kind of a budget do you have to work with,
and what gear do you already have, such as monitors, mixing console?

Return to posts index

Reins
on Jun 23, 2005 at 2:07:14 pm

Probably have $1K in USD to work with. Would be bringing it into a FCP machine. I have a Mackie 1604-VLZPRO mixer, 4 Tannoy Reveal Studio Monitors, and 2 Crown D-45 amps.

Looking for a good mic for voice over recording and advice on pop filters, sound baffles, or any other technique to get as good of quality sound with what we've got.
Thanks again.

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Jun 23, 2005 at 6:21:16 pm

And what type of space will you be recording in?
Large soundstage, closet, edit suite full of gear?

Return to posts index

Reins
on Jun 23, 2005 at 6:26:37 pm

Edit Suite filled with purring gear. It does have a closet though!

I did take a look at http://www.whisperroom.com
It's a stretch on our budget, but might be able to do it.
Any alternatives?

Return to posts index

billelder
on Jun 23, 2005 at 7:27:00 pm

Reins,

I would pick a Sennheiser 421 over a 441U...and I've used both. Studio Projects C1 and Rode NT1 ate some great sounding low priced mics. Do you want to do just voiceovers? You might just consider getting a Symetrix 528 and going from that to your computer input. The Expand/Threshhold will cut out lots of room noice. Or get a closet, slap up some Markertek Acoustic Foam and go from your mixer to your computer.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 25, 2005 at 11:22:21 am

No problem with a 441 for narration. Use what you have.

The new Neumann radio mic uses the same capsule.

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]