FORUMS: list search recent posts

Boom mic for warehouse, outside shooting

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John M
Boom mic for warehouse, outside shooting
on Jun 22, 2005 at 1:37:40 pm

Up until now, we have been using Lectosonics lavalier mics connected to our camcorder for all of our audio recording.

I would like to convince the boss that is would be worth the money to purchase a boom mic for audio. We produce 5-6 videos per year for in-house use. Mostly managers meetings and training. We have one meeting a year that's very important.

Most of the time we record interview-type footage. One person asking questions and one person answering. However there are times, say 20%, when we record outdoors or inside a busy warehouse. Forklifts are operating and conveyors are moving. Lots of background noise. To be honest, that's not a bad thing (in moderation), but we don't want the background to overwhelm the speaker.

So what I'm asking for is recommendations on a field setup. Let me know what the professionals (and the semi-pros) would use and how much it would cost. Do I need a mixer for this much shooting? I would appreciate any advice you folks are willing to give.

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
Re: Boom mic for warehouse, outside shooting
on Jun 22, 2005 at 2:18:07 pm

Hi John,

[John M] "Forklifts are operating and conveyors are moving. Lots of background noise."

Under these conditions, I would stick with the Lectrosonics. Unless you have an experienced audio crew, you will get more background noise with a boom than with the lav.
Also remember, when you use a boom for a two person interview, you need someone to operate the boom. It is not a "set it and forget it" thing unless it is an interview of a single stationary subject. I'm sure you know this, but I am a master of the obvious.
A mixer on the lines of a Sound Devices 302 or a Shure FP33 are always going to help matters if only in terms of setting your gain structure correctly, which is important in noisy environments.
Peter

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Jun 22, 2005 at 3:54:44 pm

I'm with Peter on this, I'd use a nice Lav with the Lectrosonics.
In setups where there is a little more background noise,
just move the Lav closer the the mouth and adjust the audio accordingly.
I wouldn't worry about the sight of a lapel mic, it's not a movie.

Return to posts index

John M
on Jun 22, 2005 at 4:22:49 pm

Thank you both for your input. I appreciate your time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]