FORUMS: list search recent posts

Boom Mic Aesthetics

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luis Guerrero
Boom Mic Aesthetics
on Jun 18, 2005 at 4:49:18 am

I realize that the boom mic is not supposed to be in the shot for most shooting situations. However, I would like to know when it is acceptable in situations other than on an ENG assignment.

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Boom Mic Aesthetics
on Jun 18, 2005 at 11:48:15 am

[Luis Guerrero] "I would like to know when it is acceptable in situations other than on an ENG assignment."

When the scene directions, talent or director call for a "boom mic to be visible in the shot" for comic effect or to show (in the scene) that this is a "staged" or "news" event.

I can't think of any other time it SHOULD be there.
Otherwise, you wouldn't NEED a boom, as the talent could simply hold a hand mic or wear a lav.

In general, a boom in the shot is normally "bad form."
Think of it as seeing a stagehand dressed in blue-jeans standing near the edge of the frame of a scene that is supposed to be on the surface of the moon.
It instantly breaks the mood of the moment as it screams "this is a MOVIE" (and a poorly-produced one, as well).

Return to posts index

James Zito
Re: Boom Mic Aesthetics
on Jun 22, 2005 at 1:49:47 pm

I would agree that there aren't many times in which seeing a boom is acceptable. On something like that show Insomniac with Dave Attell on Comedy Central, I think it is. I think it has to be a very loose form type show for it to be that acceptable though, but not in movies unless for comedic effect.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]