FORUMS: list search recent posts

HELP! MS Stereo Techniques messing with my brain!!!

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon
HELP! MS Stereo Techniques messing with my brain!!!
by
on Jun 8, 2005 at 8:22:23 am

Hey!

I've been trying for a while now to remember how to configure a MS setup succesfully. I've done it before when I was at college on a kit and it sounded wicked. I know I have to use a figure-of-eight mic and a cardioid and at some point phase-invert an insert of the figure-of-eight to result in three channels, L, M and R. I have tried two different ways of doing this and do not seem to be getting the best results. I have tried taking a post-fader insert from the figure-of-eight, phase inverting it and routing back to a spare mixer channel on my O2R, but this doesn't appear to be working. Also, I've just bought an SBS Mic-IT dual channel preamp which has a sum and difference mode on it. I cannot get my head around how to use this with two mics to achieve three channels! Do I have to still have to phase invert one at the mixer?

If anyone can offer any advice on where I'm going wrong and which would be my best option, I would be really greatful.

Cheers folks,

Jon

Return to posts index

PeterGroom
Re: HELP! MS Stereo Techniques messing with my brain!!!
on Jun 8, 2005 at 8:38:39 pm

What I do (and its a while ago as MS is soo yesterday)
Take side ch, parallel it off and bring it back to another channel. Pan this right and pan the original left. Phase invert right and mix both in as a stereo pair a little (not too much as you are messing with phase.) This gives the stereo with the main left ch providing the main feed.

peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]