FORUMS: list search recent posts

Loops, looping and Cubase SX 2...opinions please?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bag
Loops, looping and Cubase SX 2...opinions please?
by
on Jun 6, 2005 at 9:51:36 am

I've just started dabbling in the world of quality loops from a "collection" of drums only and I was wondering if anyone would like to comment on my first, brief impressions.
Loops can sound great, but these loop collections don't offer anywhere near the versatility I was led to believe from the hype. I mean, loops written in a certain style and groove just can't be changed that much and you can do little more than re-arrange the song/groove they were originally played for... or am I missing something? It seems my creative genius with these loops is restricted utterly to the style and feel of the material in the collection which, while it offers many varients of each recording, doesn't have a great deal of different rhythms. It seems you'd have to purchase dozens of different libraries just to provide a decent choice.
And Cubase SX 2, which I love, doesn't seem to handle manipulating loops into differing tempo changes, etc, particularly well. Does anyone agree, or can you convince me I'm just not trying hard enough.
Thanks for any input on this. Yes, I'm new at serious looping, so I'm keen to hear where I might be going astray.

Cheers, Graeme.

Graeme Hague
Author/Composer
Audio Engineer BREC

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Loops, looping and Cubase SX 2...opinions please?
on Jun 6, 2005 at 12:53:36 pm

Since you own Cubase, you could always use midi to record any style beats or patterns you like.
Then assign the drum sounds you like from one of the many VST instruments within Cubase.

Return to posts index

Bag
Re: Loops, looping and Cubase SX 2...opinions please?
by
on Jun 6, 2005 at 11:46:00 pm

Thanks David, actually, I've been doing this a million years and started way bay with Cubase 1.1 and eventually an Alesis D4. These days, Battery 2 is my drum of choice (although BFD is tempting). I do a lot of complex midi programming.
I'm just trying to get my head around this looping business a bit better for my own education.

Cheers, Graeme.

Graeme Hague
Author/Composer
Audio Engineer BREC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]