Sennie Me-66 vs Azden SGM-2x

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lev
Sennie Me-66 vs Azden SGM-2x
by
on May 28, 2005 at 11:04:21 am

Hi everyone,

To the people that have had experience with both of the above mics, do you feel their price difference is noticable for corporate work? Using these with a boompole for walk-and-talk interviews and two person dialogue both on internal and external sets, would the Sennheiser outperform the Azden "considerably"?

Reason I ask is that I can test a ME-66, but the SGM would be bought mail-order, so I'm hoping others can vouch for it's quality (knowing that I have seen/heard the ME66).

The specs sheets for both sound quite similar with both boasting the same frequency response. I'm sure their actual field use would be different, but that is the question I'm asking.

Is the ME66 worth the extra money for this sort of work or will the SGM suffice for a while.

Many thanks in advance.

Lev

Return to posts index

r lague
Re: Sennie Me-66 vs Azden SGM-2x
on May 30, 2005 at 5:20:55 pm

We have a couple of the SGM-2x Azden's and are very happy with them. we have used them for both "industrial" DVD work and cable TV shows. We have rented Sennheiser stuff, but I can't give you a head to head comparison, however the Azden shotguns have worked very very well.

We originally bought them for a shoot in South America years ago. We were going to rent audio gear, but we ended up buying a couple of SGM-2x from http://www.studio1store.com and were very happy with them. we were worried about theft in South America so we wanted our gear more 'disposable'. Whhen we got home, we like the azdens enough that we just kept using them.

I am sure the Sennheisers are terrific and perhaps a little stouter, but we have no complaints with the Azdens. the SGM-1x is a pretty nice shotgun as well.

Dick

Return to posts index

Thomas
on Jun 2, 2005 at 5:59:19 am

Hi
If You compare them 1:1 ME 66 wins 2 class. Itis less noisy, better freq response and You have the Chance to combine the output stage with all other. Omni and Lavalier.
The capsule are very stabil and if You buy another one years later, both sounds equal.
Thomas

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 2, 2005 at 2:04:00 pm

And the Sennheiser 416 sounds quite a bit better than the 66.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

lev
by
on Jun 4, 2005 at 2:01:08 am

Many thanks for the responses.

It's hard to make up one's mind when you can't listen to them side by side and all you have is their on-paper stats. But I guess in audio, you get what you pay for.

Cheers

Lev

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 4, 2005 at 2:14:15 am

While there are exceptions, you're pretty right. In the area of mics, there are a lot in the basement. LOTS of people who have never heard GOOD mics go on about the basement stuff. Since they have no way of comparing what they think is good to what is better, their comparative statements sort of fall apart.

You get the right mic and mixer and your work becomes so much easier because the sound is there and you don't have to fight as hard to get it.

How good does it HAVE to be? How much CAN you afford? All good questions. Know that unlike cameras, good mics don't need to be replaced every three years (or less). The better mic you get today will change your work for the better immediately and from that point on.

By saturday AM east coast US time, I'll have uploaded a 10-12 minute video that lets you hear what mics sound good when and why. It a pretty big file, 29MB and an MP4 format, but it may answer a lot of your audio questions.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 31, 2010 at 12:42:58 am

and here's the link to the tutorial video.

http://gallery.me.com/tyreeford#100038

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]